Cooling System Woes, Weekend Project....Final Questions: - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cooling System Woes, Weekend Project....Final Questions:

I have the following materials stockpiled and ready for the weekend install and flush.

-New Vista Pro Radiator
-Upper/Lower Updated Radiator Hoses
-2 New Motorcraft Thermostats
-Thermostat Housing Gasket
-25 gallons of Distilled Water
-4 gallons of CAT EC-1
-1 gallon of Restore
-2 quarts of VC9
-Sinister Coolant Filter System

Process:

To flush drain the coolant by removing the lower radiator hose from the radiator, and removing the drain plug from the driver side of the block. There is a drain plug on the passenger side also but you have to remove the starter to get to it. I don't bother with that one. You can skip the block drains if you want except for the final drain before adding fresh coolant. You will just have to flush a few more times to get the block clear.

I also highly recommend you pull the thermostat out on your first drain and put the housing back without the thermostat. It only takes about 10 minutes and will save you 2.5 hrs or so in doing this whole procedure.

Ok now put the lower hose back on and the drain plug back in the block if you removed it. This is the procedure you will use each time to drain the system, except you

will not touch the thermostat again until you're finished the whole procedure. Make sure that you set your heater to high while doing this to flush out the heater core as well.

Fill the cooling system with tap water, start the truck and let the water circulate for 5 minutes. (if you did not remove the thermostat you must run the truck until the thermostat opens + 5 minutes to circulate. This takes 15 to 20 minutes each cycle and is why you should just remove the thermostat) Stop the engine. Drain the system and repeat the flush.

Now add at least 1/2 gallon of Restore and fill with water. Drive truck or run on high idle for 60-90 minutes. Drain and flush 3 or 4 times.

Add 2qts VC-9 or 1/2gal of Restore Plus, top with water, and drive the truck or run on high idle for 60-90 minutes. Now drain and flush until flush water comes out clear and clean. When you get clean flush water, flush 3 more times using distilled water if you are draining the block or 5 times if not. This is to replace any tap water in the cooling system with distilled water and very important.

After your final distilled water drain it is time to put the thermostat back in. I recommend you install a new thermostat at this point. They are only $20 or so and it is good maintenance procedure to do so. Fill with 3.5 or 4 gals of ELC concentrated coolant and top off with distilled water. Drive the truck or let run for a while topping off with distilled water. Check the truck over the next few days and top up as required while any air left in the system works its way out.

Keep some 50/50 ELC on hand to use to top off the cooling system from here out and you are good to go.

Questions:

1. When you are using tap/hose water for the first rounds of flushing, are you using hot or cold water?

2. At what point in the process do you guys suggest installing all of the new parts such as the radiator, filter system, hoses, etc.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you use the hose i believe most people just use the outside spiget so cold water. THe truck will warm up the water during the flush process.

I would install all the new parts after you are done flushing and ready to put the coolant in.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
If you use the hose i believe most people just use the outside spiget so cold water. THe truck will warm up the water during the flush process.

I would install all the new parts after you are done flushing and ready to put the coolant in.
Sounds good.

JD sent me the wrong sinister coolant filter kit, hopefully the new one is here for this weekend!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 AM

Have fun and good luck. Its not hard but its a long process for sure
Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
Have fun and good luck. Its not hard but its a long process for sure
I was just debating the fumoto drain valves for the water block fittings and oil drain plug, but I think I would rather save the $$ for only using them 1 day when switching the the CAT EC-1 coolant. As for the oil drain plug, I really like, and feel safer, about the fact that the OEM plug has no chance of getting flipped open and contains a magnet to grab any metal shavings if it would occur.

I have heard of guys throwing a strong magnet on the oil pan next to the drain plug but with all that invested into it, it seems to be more of a pain than just throwing on a replacement crush washer each time?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 AM

I have no experience with the fumoto valves. They seem nice but i am affraid of it getting caught when i am hunting or offroad. I also have thought about putting a magnet next to the drain plug. I guess it cant hurt
Old 09-27-2013, 04:13 AM

Hey guys, I am having a heck of a time trying to find the part numbers on the updated radiator hoses. Does anybody have this info? Also, I looked on Taska's website and they are definately cheap but do not have part numbers on their site so I can't be sure I am getting the correct hose from them. Anybody know if they have been providing the new hoses?
Old 09-27-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SuperDiesel View Post
Hey guys, I am having a heck of a time trying to find the part numbers on the updated radiator hoses. Does anybody have this info? Also, I looked on Taska's website and they are definately cheap but do not have part numbers on their site so I can't be sure I am getting the correct hose from them. Anybody know if they have been providing the new hoses?
upper-AC3Z-8260-A
lower-8C3Z-8286-B
connector hose-AC3Z-8286-A
I would think all the hoses they have now would be the updated ones.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:06 PM
live for the now

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I am going to be doing the same thing soon, but also want to replace the hose that comes off the degas bottle as well. Does anyone know what part number it might be? Mine is leaking. As a side note my truck is fully deleted already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.