Found the holy grail. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Found the holy grail.

SCT Tuner, filled with Tunes from the guy who wrote the original Spartan tunes, customed written for my truck engine and trans, with a CAT/DPF delete.

All for the ungodly price of $1600.

I said yes, headed to the bank. Should be ready by next week.

Does this appear to be a sound deal?
I'm gonna go lay down in the driveway and pee straight up in the air now...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My opinion (which ain't worth much) would be to either buy a new SCT tuner with canned tunes and add the performance tunes from them or KEM tunes (Mike @ KEM wrote or helped write the original Spartan tunes) OR buy a new tuner from Spartan.

$1,600.00 is a lot of money for a "used" SCT tuner with tuning files that will more than likely never work on another truck. Plus, who do you call should you have tuning issues? Neither SCT nor KEM support the Spartan DashDaq and Spartan doesn't support the SCT tuner.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is new. Self-employed Ford mechanic stock piled brand new SCT Tuners and loads them with KEM tunes (by mike, ex spartan guy), Custom tunes specific to my vehicle. With new CAT/DPF delete pipe. Everything is new. Everything will be installed for me. Everything will be tuned specific to my truck for $1600.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 AM

Cool I glad you can still get a SCT
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So it is a good deal?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Is this sarcasm or a serious post? I sold my 6.4 a few months ago and it was modded and never ever woudl pay anywhere near that for a SCT and a delete pipe... but its ben a few months, a long day, and not nearly enough mountain dew...
Old 02-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well hell, online prices are higher than that. The EPA are being douches and apparently cracking down. This guy does the install with $300 bucks worth of KEM downloaded tunes. Local guys use him, pay good money.

But to answer the question it's pretty serious. SCT isn't a great tuner with the preloaded tunes from my understanding but it is the only one that is available besides the Spartan Phalanx that will take care of a DPF delete. Spartan is $1200 alone, but the headache of installing it and a jacked up trans comes free with the tuner.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Premium Member

Re: Found the holy grail.

I would source a used SCT and get some IDP or Gearhead tunes if I were you. Not fond of kem tunes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-14-2013, 02:24 PM

I found a used Livewire here on the ORG, after SCT stopped making the off-road livewire for $350. I personally, would not touch an SCT for 1600. For that money, you can buy a Spartan and have a little bit nicer display.... just my .02
Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATISBAM View Post
...... Spartan is $1200 alone, but the headache of installing it and a jacked up trans comes free with the tuner.
I'm confused as to what you're saying here.

Since they updated the DashDaq to a "Flash" type tuner, the Spartan is easy to hook-up and operate.

I have no idea what a jacked up trans comes free with the tuner means?? Can you clarify?

The Spartan tuner doesn't have transmission tuning, like the H&S race tuner did. Your transmission is computer controlled and "learns" your driving style over a few days of driving. There is also a procedure to teach the transmission "quickly", if you're in a hurry and don't mind some very aggressive 1/4, 1/2 and full throttle launches. Any tuner that can raise your horsepower by 250 or more can be hard on your transmission, if you abuse it. Some folks that really like to RACE opt to upgrade their tranny to units like the SunCoast.

I found this on another forum:

I have a spartan tuner and dpf delete pipe for sale if anyone is interested 300 for both plus shipping !! best way to reach me is by email onehotlx@netscape.net or cell 516-852-2489 thanks !

You'd have to pay Spartan for a new license (I believe it's $100.00) but you'd have access to all of their tunes from 40HP to 350HP including DPF on/off, EGR on/off and torque converter lock settings.

Now that the holy grail of a bargain!

Last edited by Truckmaniac; 02-14-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Additional information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.