Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Best Bang For Your Buck/DPF & TUNER DELETE

5K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  WHATISBAM 
#1 ·
There is too much to sift through on here so...
DPF delete and Tuner for the delete???
2008 F-250

Googled alot a what seems to be crap on this.
I'm thinking H&S or SCT tuner but DAYUM! $1200+ for the package (including delete pipe)

#2 ·
I'm helpin' ya cause I'm from GPT and still live in this state. LOL

Good luck on finding that combo for $1200 now. Since the EPA has been cracking down, prices are skyrocketing. The H&S Mini Maxx used to be about $900 over a month ago. Now it's around $2000.

Best bang for the buck, H&S XRT Pro + any delete pipe from downpipe to muffler. That's the cheapest thing you can do and you can make about +300 HP from that alone.

For anything else, check here: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-4l-discussion/281380-general-6-4-modifications.html

#3 ·
$1200 aint bad. Pretty cheap bang for the buck actually.

#4 ·
I take back the $1200, I've seen it somewhere but cannot find the page.
AlligatorPerformance.com has the Spartan Phalanx/Flo-Pro DPF-CAT delete pipe package deals starting at $1400 on upwards of $1600.
I'm thinking I can find it cheaper than that.

DOSS good to see there are fellow sippians out there.
There is a guy in Laurel, MS that works exclusively on Ford Diesels
including mods and custom tunes.
Think I may give him a shout tomorrow and check his product prices,
Maybe I can go through him to get wholesale price and do an install myself

#5 ·
#7 ·
I will keep that in mind.
I've been researching the proper ways to do the install for the delete pipe.
Using penetrating lube the night before is a first, good advice.
I'm still unsure about which tuner though, these package deals online seem to throw in the most expensive tuner.
There are less expensive quality tuners out there rather than the Spartan Phalanx.
Not saying it isn't cool as hell, because is sure is that.
But I don't require touch screen, on the fly tuning.
I'm look for fuel economy and engine life.

I wonder if it would work with a tuner that you can plug and tune then unplug and stow in the glovebox? Like an SCT somewhere around $400-$500, then monitor real-time diagnostics and read codes from a ScanGuageII $159 at local Autozone...
Maybe I'm being a cheapskate but if I can get the same results for less money then why not?

#8 ·
Sounds like you want an XRT Pro.

For the record, there is a reason why all of us pretty unanimously recommend H&S or Spartan. Keep that in mind. Go on just about any 6.4 Powerstroke forum and you will see the same majority for these two tuners. Why? Because they work consistently and have the least amount of issues.

This doesn't mean SCT and a few others don't make great, trouble-free tuners. It's just for the 6.4 these are the two that are most often used (the XRT Pro is like a Mini Max without the screen and you can throw it in your glove box).

As it turns out, I may have one available up here.

#9 ·
Yeah, the H&S tuners have skyrocketed.. An XRT Pro will go for about the price as a new Spartan. I'm about to list all my backups on eBay and let them fly.

#10 ·
Spartan is $1200 on Alligator Diesel Performance and XRT Pro $599 on Thoroughbred Diesel...
I will look more into the H&S products, I have noticed a large number of supporters among the FORD community. That alone should say something about the product, although I have heard some complaints about the XRT. Mainly that the XRT isnt the Mini Maxx haha.

#13 ·
XRT Pro for $600... Hmmmm. I find that hard to believe (pricing not updated? When was the last time someone got one at that price?), but so be it. With the current pricing and availability, I would go with the Spartan. I firmly believe the Mini Maxx to be a superior product, but the current price premium is fairly close to a deal breaker.

#16 ·
That certainly clears that up. Thanks for the update.

#17 ·
Yeah, that was my bad brother...
Bare with me I'm new but learning fast about these tuners and whatnot.
It's definitely a big deal owning a diesel and probably the best decision I have ever made.

The Price We Pay To Drive A Big Dirty Diesel Brother...

#18 ·
Anyone in the tinfoil hat camp worried about new users asking DPF delete questions right away?

EPA spies.

I knew it.

LMFAO.

#19 ·
The reason I jumped right into it is that the dealer I purchased my truck from last thursday mostly deals in Ford Diesels. Most already come with the mods because they do that themselves so they can flip them easier. Mine only came with fresh mudders, the rest was as the old man who owned it first left it.
Another reason is I have been looking into it for awhile, buying a diesel and my worktruck fleet are F250s and F350s. I was originally looking into an 06 and had read all there is to know about the EGR replacement and deletes. But I had to have this 08 when I saw it. Whole new monkey on my back with the DPF....

That was for all the 'tinfoil hat' wearing, hippie-aphobic, conspiracy theorists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.