Absolute must/1st Mod on 6.4?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Absolute must/1st Mod on 6.4??

I'm getting real close to buying an 2008/2009 6.4 and after about 6 months of research my question is. You're absolute must/1st mod you would do would be? DPF/EGR delete tune? ORRRRR AirDog fuel/water seperator??? Just from my research it sounds like the most sensitive/problematic things on these are contaminated fuel and then fuel in oil due to the DPF regen cycle, then either or both of those leading to very expensive repairs. I've looked at the cost of replacing the k16 and injectors that looks like it sucks, but then also replacing/rebuilding I guess is the flip side if I run awhile with fuel in the oil. I'm a maintenance nerd (grew up on a farm and we keep equipment...still running 1066's, 1086, 4850 JD, 8630 JD etc so G-pa and dad kicked my *** if I didn't check the fluids daily) so if I watch and make sure I'm not "making" oil, wouldn't the likely first mod be the AirDog just in case the fuel had contaminants from prior ownership?

Also, how do you all feel about a 6.4 with 150,000?? If they last that long surely they've been maintained properly...if not they typically have failure before then??

lay it on me guys, looking for any and all feedback.

One last thing, I live near Upper Sandusky, OH and have had great service on my Tahoe at Ralls Automotive, and I know they work on diesels and would probably have them do all the work on my 6.4 anyone have experience with them? They have two sharp 6.4's up there with "Ralls Diesel" stickers in the windows.

thanks,

former 6.0 owner that didn't have a lick of trouble! except diesel going to $5.00/gal in 2007
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would guess the killer package of a DPF delete+ tuner.. gotta put those two together, they really can't be separated.. the tuner turns off the EGR (higher tunes), and the obvious of the regen function disappearing..

if you're as good at maintenance as you indicated, just keep the HMFC and engine mounted fuel filters clean, and you'll be fine with it.. I have an AirDog, but I can't tell you- for certain- that it is any better than stock (so long as both are maintained)..
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Absolute must/1st Mod on 6.4??

Egr and dpf delete. Did you happen to read the stickie in the 6.4 section? It has some great info. But u better buy a tuner like yesterday because they're going like hot cakes and once they're gone they're gone

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewactual View Post
I would guess the killer package of a DPF delete+ tuner.. gotta put those two together, they really can't be separated.. the tuner turns off the EGR (higher tunes), and the obvious of the regen function disappearing..

if you're as good at maintenance as you indicated, just keep the HMFC and engine mounted fuel filters clean, and you'll be fine with it.. I have an AirDog, but I can't tell you- for certain- that it is any better than stock (so long as both are maintained)..
yessir, I'm aware that that the DPF/EGR Tuner is something that has to be done together. And yes I am that good at Maintenance.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

MTS678,

I thought it was just H&S that was under fire? Also, how can they legitimately take away tuners, they're off-road use only...I really don't think the EPA would have a leg to stand on if they tried to pursue anything other than a nasty letter. It's like anything else it would take years of court processes.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It's any device that is used to eliminate the DPF system, H&S just happens to be an example as you might say. There are many products out there that are for "off road use" only, but we have to be honest with ourselves and understand that excuse won't fly anymore. It sucks, but the EPA has their sights on the soot blowers as you might say. You have to look at it from an H&S business standpoint too-create DPF friendly tunes from now on, or kiss your business goodbye thanks to Uncle Sam. Pretty shi**y if you ask me, you'd think they would have bigger fish to fry.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have an 08 6.4 also with mini maxx tuner in hand, but would like some advise on DPF only delete, or dpf/doc delete. I also considered gutting my dpf but am hesitant in case I would ever need to replace. I would appreciate any and all feedback, pros and cons.

Thanks guys. I Am new to the forum and absolutely love all of the advise.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Best thing to tell you is to do a search on DPF delete, and there will be more there to read than you'll know what to do with. I will say it's pretty common because it extends the life of the truck, results in better performance and better fuel mileage, and much more but I'll let you read for yourself, this is just my .

This forum is filled with tons of information, and we all share our own experiences/results which is key. Search around and see what you can find, if you can't find an answer to your question then, let us know and we'll do the best we can to help.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is it necessary to get a delete pipe with bungs to reinstall the sensor, or will the mini maxx read egt from the sensor in the manifold?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

no bungs of exhaust sensors needed with the mini maxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.