4" or 5" exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4" or 5" exhaust

I have a bone stock f450. Just ordered my mini maxx. Doing egr delete and Dpf. Going to keep stock air intake.

Stick with a 4"? What's benefit of a 5"?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 PM
Sic2Fiddy

4" and 5" are same benefit in my opinion. The downpipe is going to be a 4", the stock is a bent to all hell pipe 3.5". The 5" pipe sounds better in my opinion. Browse YouTube for the sounds differences, but that is about the only difference since most likely you will have a 4" downpipe.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redz284u View Post
I have a bone stock f450. Just ordered my mini maxx. Doing egr delete and Dpf. Going to keep stock air intake.

Stick with a 4"? What's benefit of a 5"?

Thanks
5" will have a deeper tone. No performance difference at all between the 2, untill you get into some serious HP applications.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

5" is what I have, My buddy has 4" and he is now getting 5" after hearing mine, it wasnot thathard to install , might need a hand to help, WD40 is your friend and a few jack stands to set everything even when it comes time to make everything tight. having a 4" DP and 4" exhaust will put the end of your restriction at the tip of your exhaust, haveing a 4" DPand 5" out will put the end of your restriction at the end of the DP, how ever small this restriction is the less the better on turbos
Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 AM

i have 5" because my dad talked me into it. I love the sound. Nice tone, not a drone like other exhausts i have heard.

My sound levels out at around 65 to 70 and all you hear is motor at that point. Really nice.

Go with the 5" you won't regret it,
Old 02-01-2013, 04:38 AM

4" or 5" exhaust

5" to 6" tip is beat IMO. It's what I'm running and looks/performance best from what I have experienced.

I had a 4" on my 6.0 and it just looked too small. Difference from a 4-5...eh who knows but I could tell.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-01-2013, 04:48 AM
Premium Member

Go for the 5", i wish i did. Sounds deeper and has more tone.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

since i will assume you are towing with your 450 ill toss in my opinion as well. i have a 350 and tow constantly and very heavy( large equipment). i bought a 5 inch flo pro turbo back with muffler and a 6 inch tip. once i saw it i was affraid of the noise i would hear while towing. boy did i a good surprise, outside i can hear the hair dryer sound these trucks have but inside i hear nothing different than before even whil towing and with the windows down. My egts did drop a little, not really sure how much but i am sure they are down a touch. the big benefit for me was the from a stand still bottom end power. i cant prove it and i have no numbers to back it up with but my seat of the pants dyno says that the truck moves the dozer or the hoe from a stand still much easier than before. i seem to use less go pedal to get moveing than before. to date i have no negatives with this exhaust. i also have the firestone air bags and the b&w turn over ball and this system didnt hit any of it and somehow i was able to remove the spacers i had to put in for the stock exhaust to fit with the bw.
hope this helps
matt
Old 02-01-2013, 05:10 AM

Do it right the first time, u will ge the 4 inch and then want the 5 inch...that's where I'm at I have a 4 inch and I want a 5 inch...the looks alone are enough for me .....there's a little difference in sound but not a lot
Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 AM

SOLD to the lady in 5" exhaust. Thanks all. I really appreciate every ones help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.