Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

caster spacers?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bigshow 
#1 ·
I installed a 2.5 Newton kit and have been told by several people that I need to adjust the caster with some spacers. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and what size spacers they used? Any feedback would be helpful..

#2 ·
I was told this also and so far my truck is fine. The problem is everyone I have asked locally doesn't know what they are or doesn't know how to use them. My buddy went to get his 6.0 aligned and he has the castor shims and they said something is wrong with the shim and can't get it aligned. So I will be leaving mine for now.

#3 ·
I have the same leveling kit. I don't have castor adjusters either and IIRC my camber was at -1 degree off spec. I know bd diesel makes a kit for about $220.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
I had done the caster cams a few years ago - I dont recall the specs any more but I think my caster was close to 0 or maybe 1 (??) with a Readylift 2.5" kit installed. If my memory serves me correctly I used 2.5 degree cams and had about 3 degrees of caster. I've read that about 3.5 is a sweet spot for these trucks. My truck (and most others) needed to be 'herded' if thats a correct description to keep it straight with a few different alignment combinations. After installing them, the truck was much better. Actually I had kind of got used to the corrections and didnt notice it much, thinking all was good but whenever anyone else drove they said it was a sumbeach to steer. The proper caster made it steer exceptionally well...
In my opinion (and we all know how opinions and the internet go hand in hand ) my ball joints experienced accelerated wear due to the offset cams. After doing ball joints, I added a 1" spacer from Readylift (i am not sure if this is what some call a TEI spacer?) to make my truck have a 3.5" Readylift levelling kit, and this kit came with radius arm drop brackets to correct caster and went back to stock, flat running ball joint caster cams.
I feel this is a better way to correct caster just for ball joint longevity - truck steered similar with both setups...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.