updated my H&S need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
updated my H&S need advice

Hello all, Dont know if any of you have seen my 2012 console addition to my 2008 f350, but here is a quick run down,

I travel for a living well most of the time. and when im going Im always on the internet, the last time I was gone ( Brazil ) I got everything needed to do a dig overhaul on my truck, a year ago I did the DPF delete with the H&S mini maxx, so this go around i did some supporting mods, 5" exhaust and DP with no muff ( sounds great) , sinister EGR delete with elbow, full 3" IC pipe with no crimp, as well as the 2012 console and full king ranch swap,

here is my question, after i did the mods I drove the truck, drove the same IMHO , sounded much better. then I updated the H&S to the newest update to help reduce my injector noise, more boost and so on, I notice now at idle it smells like diesel fuel very bad, I never noticed this before,

Is this from the supporting mods or the new up date ? anyone notice this from the new update? or anyone have my mods? If anything I was thinking it would have more efficient air flow and not a smell problem,

Also thinking might have an injector problem . but it would smoke all the time and it does not, it smokes much the same as it did before, but I have never had the smell issue,

any help will be great, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

wow no one has done the update? does it smell like fuel?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

i have the .47 update....i assume you also did the firmware, most forget to do that....anyway I never did smell a fuel smell ever. The new tune is less smokey, even on the 5 setting you dont get much smoke....thats pretty much all i can say, im not sure what the other things could possible be.
I think im going to drop out my muffler as well....flopro sent me a muffler with my 5inch kit i think by accident so i installed it. i have a extra pipe to get rid of it though
Old 01-29-2013, 12:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I did not do that, I did what its said off the website, Ill have to look into that, install the exhaust and let me know what it smells like, thanks for the response.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just updated to .48 last night. Truck runs the same as before. However, I still see a cloud of smoke when I hammer on it....I run LBF on 4, due to my mods. In any case, to smell diesel is normal since you are deleted. How many miles are on your truck? What has the temp been outside (If it is cold enough, is your high idle kicking on)? If it is, you are running more fuel through it, hence the smell. If you see blue, grey or white smoke you have a problem...if not RUN IT.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo kidd View Post
I just updated to .48 last night. Truck runs the same as before. However, I still see a cloud of smoke when I hammer on it....I run LBF on 4, due to my mods. In any case, to smell diesel is normal since you are deleted. How many miles are on your truck? What has the temp been outside (If it is cold enough, is your high idle kicking on)? If it is, you are running more fuel through it, hence the smell. If you see blue, grey or white smoke you have a problem...if not RUN IT.
thanks for your responce, I have 180k mile of truble free driving, I did the DPF and cat delete a long time ago when my re-gens were every few hours, , I never had the fuel smell after the delete , I always made comments how is never had a bad smell. It was only after I took off the stock exhaust with delete and replaced it with the turbo back 5" system and did the latest the update , thats when I started smelling my truck, I keep my setting on 0 for the LBF. I dont like the smoke, Im just wondering if its the tune. Is it possible to go back to the older tune? andno I dont see and whiteor blue smoke at all, It runs great, the reason i was thinking I had an injector problem is because it still makes the 2300 -4000 injuctor noise, it only gets quite when i hit 4th and 5th gear, I guess because i have converter locked up and its putting a biggerload on the engine. but Is just injector noise. not abig deal, I just hate the smell of my truck trying to hook up a trailer or load my little girl im my truck when its running, I like to start it in the morning let it run for 15 min or so while im getting everything ready for the day.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you sure you didn't just do a DPF delete originally?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
you sure you didn't just do a DPF delete originally?
1000% sure , I have the DPF and CAT connected sitting on the corner of my garge , stands about 5' tall. heavy as ****, didnt look that heavy, haha i was wrong, I did the delete by myself. not fun, but yes im sure i did them both at the same time.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

I've did my mods a long time ago. I meant u have to update your firmware first then download the new tune or it won't work. Anyway I never smell fuel just smell good ol diesel smog. as the soot isn't getting caught by dpf anymore. Yes u can go back to older tunes but I'm not sure that would make sense. Look on your mini and see what firmware number u are on. Should be 1.2.03 I think
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ill have to check on that, when i did my update I did what the H&S website told me to do , inserted my SD card into my computer rerote the files and upleaded them to my mini max, I know all the names have changed as far as the power levels,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.