Installed EGR delete before tune. Problem? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 05:31 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installed EGR delete before tune. Problem?

Didn't do all my research properly and rather new to the diesel truck scene. I plan on throwing on a downpipe back exhaust with a DPF delete soon. I didn't know there wasn't a DPF on/EGR off tune before I tried to load a regular street tune.

Putting the EGR system back on to make sure the tuner pulls off the completely stock tune isn't exactly an option.

Any suggestions to help the tune load properly and not while in limp mode from the EGR being off on the stock tune? Or will it even matter?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by havok209 View Post
Didn't do all my research properly and rather new to the diesel truck scene. I plan on throwing on a downpipe back exhaust with a DPF delete soon. I didn't know there wasn't a DPF on/EGR off tune before I tried to load a regular street tune.

Putting the EGR system back on to make sure the tuner pulls off the completely stock tune isn't exactly an option.

Any suggestions to help the tune load properly and not while in limp mode from the EGR being off on the stock tune? Or will it even matter?

Thanks
you can leave the EGR off as long as you have a tune/tuner that will tell the computer to stop looking for it.. but if you don't have tunes like that you need to either get some or put the EGR back on
Old 01-24-2013, 06:02 PM

Re: Installed EGR delete before tune. Problem?

Well I have the Spartan waiting to be loaded and that has egr off tunes. But the trucks stock tune now has codes and is in limp mode from the egr being removed and I'm not sure if thats going to be an issue since the tuner has to remove a stock tune before it can turn the egr off.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok209 View Post
Well I have the Spartan waiting to be loaded and that has egr off tunes. But the trucks stock tune now has codes and is in limp mode from the egr being removed and I'm not sure if thats going to be an issue since the tuner has to remove a stock tune before it can turn the egr off.
Aren't all of the egr off tunes disabled through the "dpf not installed" tunes? I didn't even think there was a tuner that only did egr delete tunes.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:28 AM

I don't know of any that do just one. All the ones I've seen do both to some extent. Some disable completely whereas others allow it to cycle at idle if still in place.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide app.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 AM
Premium Member

Normally the tuners are purchased in order to remove the dpf and allow your truck to not regen all the time. and those tunes normally on the high power tunes disable the egr valve from working, in a sense kind of like not having an egr. Then people later on remove the egr because it is the more difficult thing to do. Congrats of conquering that battle anyway. Is there any reason that you havent got rid of your current exhaust? Unhook the four or so sensors from the dpf then download the NONstock tunes...why wouldnt that work...
also you are going to want to invest in an intake as well. Some say on the high hp tunes the stock air filter wont last or something like that
Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 AM

Installed EGR delete before tune. Problem?

My suggestion is remove exhaust to point of downpipe until u can get proper exhaust. U will just be emitting your exhaust under the truck versus put tail pipe. It takes literally less than 30 min to remove stock exhaust.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-25-2013, 04:51 AM

The DPF is coming off. The exhaust should be here in less than a week. Thats not the problem I'm having. The thing I'm worried about is that due to the EGR being removed before a tune was loaded, there are multiple EGR codes and its in limp mode and I'm worried about that being an issue when the tuner goes to pull off the "stock" tune (codes and limp mode and all). I just bought the truck less than a month ago.

I also already installed an AFE cold air intake.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 AM

OOOOOO...sorry man. I get what you are saying. That's why they say to install the tuner prior to EGR Delete. Makes sense now.

I would call H&S. I'm sure you aren't the first (or the last) to run into this problem.

Sorry i could not be of more help.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:31 AM

Yeaaa. From what I've gathered from reading and talking to some tech supports, the best way to go about it will be to replug the sensors in to take it out of limp mode then go in with my car's SCT to clear the codes(without running it), then load the Spartan tune.

Anyone else concurr?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.