Regen sensors???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Regen sensors????

For those of you that have the KEM programmer..... What do you do with the sensors after the strait pipe install??? My brother is trying to order the KEM now and was wondering how to do the strait pipe.... Thanks Guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2007, 08:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the sensors are installed in my straight pipe, the rear one is the only one that is required but I just put all 4 in place including the pressure sensor, just in case it ever tried to read something from them. I hope this helps, and you will be amazed at the power this unleashes in this beast-- AWESOME is all I can say.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:43 AM

How many miles since you removed the cat and dpf? In another forum I'm reading that after about 300 miles or so people are getting a CEL that cannot be cleared. Didn't seem to make any difference whether the sensors were re-installed or not. I'm interested in deleting the cat and dpf on mine as well.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:48 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
When you straighpipe, reguardless of the sensors, You need the Special Kem Performance programmer or your truck will lock into regen and run like crap. At least that is what Julian explained. With the programmer, no CEL+no regen = No Problem!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:08 AM

Ok good. Well I've been researching which programmer to go with for over 2 months now. I'm on the fence between the SCT livewire and, I guess now, the KEM. I'm not familar with the KEM. Without being redundant, do you have a website or any further info on the KEM programmer?
Old 11-24-2007, 06:09 AM

Do a google search for KEM Performance....and give them a call.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:22 AM

I found them, KEM-Performance, Inc.

Now to find out if the KEM can 'hide' from the history in the OEM PCM. I have made a complete straight pipe system in 4" from the down pipe flange and turned it out just in front of the rear tire. I was able to use most of the stock hanger locations easily which allows me to swap between the original CAT/DPF and all the over-the-axle stock exhaust in about 15 minutes. I've test fitted it but not run with it because I didn't want it to register a CEL in the history (which Ford can detect). If I can get around the CEL/Regen issues then I'll install it.

Thanks.

Last edited by gahanna-6.4; 11-24-2007 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:54 AM

I was told from my Ford rep , that Ford has insatlled a tel-tel override in the ecm in these trucks. This is due to all the 6.0's that they have ate over the years due to "chips" that put too much power to a stock engine. So these will record ALL codes whether they have been cleared out or not -- for ever -- they can not be erased from this keep alive memory, The KEM is a program that Ford wrote to turn off regen in trucks that were to be used off road in a mining indusrty. But even the updates that Ford installs will be recorded in the memory. So there is no way to get around it if a Ford engineer was to hook into the ECM. They can tell and see all now, even top speed and top EGT is stored forever. My dealer told me of a guy with an 08 F-250 with a 5.4L that the computer had stored a code for a programmer install , and had been over 110 mph. He even went on to tell me that a closer look into the truck with 5400 miles on it( it was in for a weird rich condition code) they looked at the intake bolts, the alternator bolts, and the belt tensioner and they were tampered with. Ford engineer took pics of this and voided all powertrain coverage accross the nation via reporting that the truck had been tampered with with an aftermarket supercharger, wich was removed from the truck to bring back in for warranty work. I seen the pics and it was very noticable that it was tampered with . So Ford is tired of paying while we are playing, but I do have the KEM on my truck and its AWESOME , but the mileage savings is worth the possibility of a failure that I will have to pay for. Just in 6 weeks I have saved over $2100.00 in fuel savings ( thats over 300.00 a week) but I have driven over 16,000 miles in those 6 weeks. At that rate my truck has 78,000 miles on it now so in a few more weeks it will be over 100K and out of warranty anyways. But it is up to you if it is worth the trouble to let this beast breath and blow smoke and enjoy your $55K investment, or keep it under Fords eye for the possibility that a problem may arrive and waste money on extra fuel. Mine may fail on me tommorrow but for now I believe that I made the right choice.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:02 AM

I think it was one of the techs on here, (Marc maybe) that said the techs cannot read that tell-tell code, and that if it IS in there...it's a BIG-FORD only readable thing. Also, on top of that, I talked to the fleet trucks manager at my local dealer and he said that it just drops a soft code showing that the ECU had been reset in the last 72 operating hrs or something like that.(It was 72 operating hours or just 72 straight hours. I don't remember.)

Even if you do have a programmer on your truck, they still have the burden to prove that it caused the issue. An SCT isn't going to cause your tailgate step to break, etc.

Just my 0.02. All you really have to do is play dumb. But you are right, if you add a programmer, you are taking a chance of having problems that might not be taken care of under warranty.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahanna-6.4 View Post
I found them, KEM-Performance, Inc.

Now to find out if the KEM can 'hide' from the history in the OEM PCM. I have made a complete straight pipe system in 4" from the down pipe flange and turned it out just in front of the rear tire. I was able to use most of the stock hanger locations easily which allows me to swap between the original CAT/DPF and all the over-the-axle stock exhaust in about 15 minutes. I've test fitted it but not run with it because I didn't want it to register a CEL in the history (which Ford can detect). If I can get around the CEL/Regen issues then I'll install it.

Thanks.
Gahanna-I was wondering if you can take some pictures of your projects, i've been thinking of doing the same thing with mine and I have no clue at all. Pictures of it will probably make it a little easier. Hope you don't mind. Thank you very much for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.