High Idle Switch - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High Idle Switch

Not exactly sure how many people have posted on here about this, but I saw a guy on a youtube who flipped a switch to enable the high idle. Seems like this would definitely be handy to have (even though my truck automatically does it, usually when its cold out here in Iowa winters.) I currently have a 2008 6.4

Does anyone know where you can get a kit, or if it's simple enough to actually install a DIY type switch? Not sure exactly how much work this would be, but thought I'd see if anyone out there knew much about it. Any help or websites for consideration would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

This applies to 6.0s but i am sure the 6.4 is similar. The computer has a high idle PTO wire typically used on service trucks to speed up motor for alternator or hydraulic pump. It works by that ECM PTO wire being grounded, and the parking brake being set. You could also have that PTO wire ground through the parking brake, so when you set the brake it will go to high idle.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
High Idle Switch

I have it on my 6.4. Works awesome on cold mornings. Just hook a powered switch to the wire labeled PTO under your dash. If you google it you should be able to find a lot of info. I just used a butt connector and hooked my Upfitter AUX4 to the PTO. In order to activate high idle you have to be in park, parking brake on and flip the switch. It can be turned off by flipping the switch, releasing the parking brake, or hitting your brake pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I looked up some of the info on it. Doesn't sound like it'd be too hard of a job, however my 08 didn't come with the set of up fitters. I saw a set on ebay for about 160 dollars. Probably need to get that in first!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

With the upfitter switches this mod takes 3 min to do. You can easily hook a switch too it or just order upfitter switches.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
With the upfitter switches this mod takes 3 min to do. You can easily hook a switch too it or just order upfitter switches.
AGREE!!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You dont have to use a switch.

Hook up the pto to a power wire, then just push the e-brake when you want high-idle.

I even have mine setup for remote high idle. My remote-start system has "aux" functions, so I have a relay that "turns on" the parking brake when I hit the button, then the truck high idles. I havent used it much as mine high-idles really well on cold mornings by itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.