H&S Trans Tuning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
H&S Trans Tuning

So before I lifted my truck, I ran the S2M tranny tuning and loved it. Now that I've lifted and put on 37's it seems like the converter doesnt want to lock in until 65mpg (already adjusted speedo for bigger tires)...so here's my question for you lifted guys...What have you found to be the best trans tune when running bigger than stock tires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I love the S1L. With stock tires I like the S2M or S1M.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Honestly, this transmission tuning is confusing to me and defies what I know about gasser trans tuning..
In most gasser transmissions, modern, anyway, the pressures bounced off the speed sensors regulate shifting.. and, at least with mopar diesels in the 48rfe configuration, that holds true.. the t/c lock is a product of an electronic solonoid sensing steady pressure and constant speed, and literally flipping the switch that mechanically locks the main shaft and converter together..

These things seem to be regulated by speed alone.. seriously.. I can reach 50mph and shift to 5th locked (S1L), and stand on the throttle while remaining in 5th locked..

My question, and the point Im trying to make is: either that mph needs to be adjusted for proper shifting, and will vary with tire size/ overall gear ratio, or the tuner only manipulates the output of the mph reading to the gauge, and the tables/script in the pcm are reading it before its manipulated- and shifting based off of that.. which isn't optimum if that's the case..

Does anyone here know if the transmissions on these rigs are managed by hydraulics or if they are managed by a very rigid speed to shift event?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
I'll give S1L a shot and see how I like it...I know for a fact that the transmission tuning from H&S shifts based on speed...at least I thought so because before I lifted the truck it would lock in the converter at 55mph...now it doesnt lock it until 65mph. My speedo is right on though..so it's weird. Anyhow, I'll try S1L and see how I like it...I'll be back. HAHAH
Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Premium Member

i only have 35's ,but i only like the S2 tunes. i dont care fore the 4th and 5th lock.

Im doing the S2L now and i like it. S2M i liked also. both shift around 50-55.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:23 PM

I have the s1l but have tweaked it through the mcc with the help of a friend. There are some minor changes that can be made to make the shifts quicker and lockup a little earlier in 5th and it will really shave some time off. We have seen 12.70s with the hd 300 tune with the modified s1l program on a ccsb with filter, intake , & exhaust. The s1l is the fastest setting at the track and has yeilded the best mpg on my trucks. Rpms stay low when easing around and if you step on it it locks and takes off.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

Yep that's what I set it on...S1L and I loved it! We'll see how it is tomorrow!
Old 01-19-2013, 02:54 PM

H&S trans tunes settings (such as the torque converter lockup) are based on rpm not speed.

S1L for me.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Serving Our Country!

Welp I think S1L is the one!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 AM

Re: H&S Trans Tuning

Plus, the S1's lock in both 4th and 5th whereas the S2's only lock in 5th.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.