Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Procomp Traction bars on stock truck

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  macgyvr 
#1 ·
I did a search and didn't find much. So I'm starting a thread. If I missed a good thread on this please point me in the right direction.

I didn't do as much research as I probably should have and bought a set of the procomp bars and the mounting kit.

I have an 08 F350 cc long bed 4x4 with an h&s mini, delete (should be in my sig, but in case its not or you have them turned off) with 126k miles. I tow a 48 foot toyhauler that is probably around 18k with 3 to 4k of pin weight on the goose. I've been feeling what I thought was axle wrap on take off and a shaking sometimes when it shifts. I'm hoping these bars will help. My truck is stock with no lift, just air bags in the back.

These arms were not made to install on a stock truck I've pretty much determined. I had to add spacers to the frame end of the install to space them out down and on the drivers side away from the frame so that the traction bar bolt on the frame end doesn't hit the fuel tank. They have to be spaced down because they will hit the over loads if not. There was no warning about any of this when I bought the kit from 4Wheel Parts. I almost have them installed, just need to drill two more holes on the drivers side frame.

Anyone else dealing with this?

Here is the mount that comes with the kit

Here is the fab work that I did to space them out.

mac 'not a bolt on mod' gyvr

See less See more
#2 ·
Finally got the pass side done and installed. Got the drivers side holes drilled and painted, just need to install everything, ran out of time. Too many things going on.

Here is the pass side bracket.

Bar installed, not tight yet.

Could only get two of the three exhaust hanger bolts on...

There's about 1/4 of an inch btw the bar and the over load spring...hope that's not an issue.

Pic is ride height with no air in the bags.

mac '5000 mile road trip with trailer at the end of the month' gyvr

#3 ·
I have the same setup as you.

I don't have a pic of it but I added a couple washers as spacers between the bottom of the frame and the flat part of the mounting bracket. I have around 6,000 miles on them so far and they are holding up just fine.

#4 ·

Drivers side done...well both sides done...

Haven't driven it yet, so we shall see if it makes a difference and hopefully doesn't hit the over load springs.

mac 'definately not one size fits all' gyvr

#5 ·
macgyvr do you have the 4" block in the rear of your truck? Just seams like there isnt much clearance for the rear of the truck to articulate with out them hitting the springs. If you have a 2" block, adding a 4" block may help push them down a bit?

#6 ·
I'm sure that adding a 4 inch block would do the trick just fine. But I have no need for a 4 inch block. I want to retain stock height, there is no need for me to lift my truck. I tow a big trailer.

My issue is that nothing I read or researched from the companies that sell them said that this kit was really for a lifted truck. That's why I purchased it. I wanted something that would work on a stock truck. I will drive it tomorrow and see if there are any clearance issues with my ghetto custom fab work.

mac 'was a pain in the butt' gyvr

#7 ·
Drove it a bit today with no trailer. Seemed to be no clearance issues.

Will hook the trailer up hopefully this weekend and make sure everything seems to sit well.

Leaving the 31st for 2200 miles to California to Johnson Valley.

mac 'west bound hammer down' gyvr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.