Fuel leak, please help!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel leak, please help!!!

I was out and about today and when I walked up to my truck there was a decent sized puddle underneath of the front differential. I crawled underneath and wiped my finger on the bottom of the front diff and smelled diesel. After getting the truck home I followed the lines up and it seemed as though fuel was coming possibly from a fuel line on the front of the motor, drivers side where the egr cooler was previously (relative area) After pulling the drivers side front fender out, pulling the abs coupler off I was able to get a better look, it seemed as though fuel was coming out of the head... Or maybe fuel was dripping so fast from another point that it seemed as though it was. Looking from the top of the motor there was no sign of fuel, or any wet soruce what so ever. I was hoping someone would be able to give me some insite. I did just get studded, and egr removed with wastegate, hoping that this wasn't an issue do to that. Any help I would greatly appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 08:13 AM
Hunter of Trolls

The fuel rail is under the valve covers, and would make It appear to come from heads.. from them to the individual injector are high pressure lines too.. that would be my guess as a probable source of leak in that area, especially if the shop that studded your heads reused them..

Check your oil for signs of diesel contamination..
Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I just checked the oil for contamination and it did not appear to be diluted, or have a smell of diesel. Is this something that the shop should warrant and fix? I had the truck for just a few days and yesterday began to notice the puddle underneath the front end. Also assuming that this means I may need new rails, would it be worthwhile to put ported rails in? Thanks for your input.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Hunter of Trolls

check the banjo bolt on the front of the head first ... I doubt seriously it is your fuel rail, it would more likely be a high pressure injector hose/line..
Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am going to try and tighten the banjo bolt. Is there a ft lb or limit of how much to tighten the bolt? And if that doesn't work should I just leave it be and let the shop worry about it?
Old 01-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Hunter of Trolls

You're at an impasse would be my position.. I'd take it to them w/o touching a thing to make certain you can't be blamed for any issues..

Insofar as torque specs, Google 6.4 bible.. there is a section where all torque specs are listed.. that thing has likely become my most often used resource in the short period Ive owned my rig..
Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice. That's what I'm going to do, just leave it be for now. The last thing I wanted to do was mess something up and have them say they would void there work due to me messing with something. The only thing is I would hate for it to be something stupid, because it's about an hour and twenty minute ride each way. But in the long run I want the truck to run for a long time so... Thanks again for your help, and i'll have to check the 6.4 bible out.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Fuel leaking from the engine area is not a safe situation. Any of that drips on hot exhaust manifolds and your truck (and possibly you) could go up in flames.

Get it fixed immediately even if it means getting it towed to the shop.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Hunter of Trolls

I've been thinking about this.. first and foremost, doss is right and has provided the best advise yet.. second, I'm now of the opinion it is not on the high pressure side.. if it was, you would be spraying the engine bay at operating pressures riding down the road.. there would be no way you couldn't notice it while driving as your engine bay would smoke it up quite a bit..

While working on heads, if they were pulled during studding, the valley would be exposed, and the hpfp as well.. the hpfp would also have been bled during reinstall.. the low pressure return line is opened in such an event, and air is purged..

Where specifically is the fluid visible near the heads? If its near the back, I'd suspect that low pressure line is the culprit.. where it was loosened to bleed..

If it was a high pressure injector line, you would without doubt have contaminated your oil.. there's not much room around that..

Whatever it is, I'm willing to bet its on the low pressure side, and the return makes sense because of the need to open it to bleed, but also because the high pressure system feeds back to it after you kill the engine... That pressure has to go somewhere, or remain contained in the rails.. as it is, its returned to the hfcm/tank.. but In your case I bet its, instead, escaping at that bleed point and leaking down the block..

Maybe, anyway.. I dang sure ain't no expert here..
Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

First off thanks for all of your help and advice, and second my leak is officially gone! I was able to limp it down to the shop today, and the leak was coming from a faulty/loose washer on the front drivers side of the motor. I cant remember which line it was, but all I know is that it was a 17mm socket with a 6 inch extension that went just underneath of one of the hoses. Anywho, leak is plugged up and so far so good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.