The comprehensive Go-Go Transmission Solenoid Thread - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 06:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The comprehensive Go-Go Transmission Solenoid Thread

Hey guys, so I want to know everything that has or hasn't been mentioned about the Go-Go solenoid. I called up Innovative, they say it "works pretty good" and seemed to recommend it. Called up Suncoast (they used to have their own version of the ported solenoid) and the owner said it worked pretty good, but they found that with aftermarket trans tuning, it led to failures of the solenoid.

I've also read that the Go-Go solenoid make the shifts brutally harsh. Right now I have IDP tunes, running the "firm shift delay lock" and I'll tell you, the trans shifts beautifully except for the 2-3 shifts. I have a stumble that feels like a double shift into 3rd. Talking to Mark Kovalsky (who was a Ford engineer and helped design the 5R110), he said that the 5R110 is a unique trans because the 2-3 shift is unlike any of the others in that a downshift occurs at the same time that an upshift occurs, and that a stumble like the one I'm experiencing is either a weak solenoid, or the trans tuning is off. Since I haven't heard of anyone else running Innovative tunes having this issue, I'm going to assume that it's a solenoid issue. FWIW, I pulled the pan to replace the filter and I didn't see anything at all on the filter, and not much on the magnet (certainly no large clutch materal particles).

So let me know why you installed the solenoid, and did it fix your issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I also had a shift flare on the 2-3 shift. I installed the Gogo direct drive solenoid. It made a huge difference on the shifts. I highly recommend one on any 5R110. It didnt make the shifts harsh but nice and firm.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I was having hard shifts or miss shifts when coasting to a stop, then not having to stop and getting back into the throttle. I thought about doing the GoGo Solenoid, but after doing traction bars I haven't had any shift issues and shifts are noticeably smoother. I still debate if I should do the solenoid, but without issues I have a hard time justifying it.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxcoupe View Post
Hey guys, so I want to know everything that has or hasn't been mentioned about the Go-Go solenoid. I called up Innovative, they say it "works pretty good" and seemed to recommend it. Called up Suncoast (they used to have their own version of the ported solenoid) and the owner said it worked pretty good, but they found that with aftermarket trans tuning, it led to failures of the solenoid.

I've also read that the Go-Go solenoid make the shifts brutally harsh. Right now I have IDP tunes, running the "firm shift delay lock" and I'll tell you, the trans shifts beautifully except for the 2-3 shifts. I have a stumble that feels like a double shift into 3rd. Talking to Mark Kovalsky (who was a Ford engineer and helped design the 5R110), he said that the 5R110 is a unique trans because the 2-3 shift is unlike any of the others in that a downshift occurs at the same time that an upshift occurs, and that a stumble like the one I'm experiencing is either a weak solenoid, or the trans tuning is off. Since I haven't heard of anyone else running Innovative tunes having this issue, I'm going to assume that it's a solenoid issue. FWIW, I pulled the pan to replace the filter and I didn't see anything at all on the filter, and not much on the magnet (certainly no large clutch materal particles).

So let me know why you installed the solenoid, and did it fix your issue?
the go go solenoid is for the 3-5 shift.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:52 AM

It cleaned up my shift flare on the 3-5 shift
Worth the 150 and then 70ish for fluid
Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 AM

I just ordered my solenoid wednesday. It flares bad on the 3-5 shift and never feels like it grabs. The shift feels slow, soft and like it slips once in the gear. Im banking on this solenoid fixing the problem. Im very nervous, because if it still feels like its slipping then I may have already burned the clutches out. I sure as hell can't afford a trans right now so I've got my fingers crossed; if its still bad then its back to a street tune until I can rebuild it. "Gotta pay to play..."
Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 PM

Hope it works man. I can definitely tell a difference.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Do I need this for the suncoast rebuild kit?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 AM

If the rebuild kit is just the clutches then I would say yes. It sounds like most of the aftermarket transmission builders are able to resolve the issue with their own touch of magic, But that's on a full transmission rebuild. My solenoid is backordered. I increased shift pressure 25% (max) via SCT and the shift still sucks, but feels slightly better.

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-09-2013, 06:33 AM

I really want to get the GoGo solenoid. I've read so much, and feel it is needed in any 5R110. I am due for a fluid and filter change soon so probably going to start getting the solenoid, fluid and filters and do it come spring time. I've read so much about them, but where is the best place to get it for those that have the solenoid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.