Local shop says I don't need to stud - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Local shop says I don't need to stud

My current setup - 08 6.4 - I have a 5" flow pro pdf/cat delete, egr delete with the elbow, H&S mini max, and an s&b intake. Advanced diesel, my local diesel shop (that's all they work on) says that I don't need to stud my heads even for a piece of mind. They are an H&S dealer and installer and are very mod friendly and experienced. He said in all their years of being in business working on all models and years of the big three that the 6.4 he talked very highly of for being a really strong base. They did my egr delete and knows that I'm making my truck really reliable. I e been talking to him about studding my heads for piece of mind and preventative maintenance. He had me come into his shop about a month or two ago to look at a 6.4 that is the ONLY one that they've worked on that had a leaky head gasket. Not even blown. He was studding it at the time. The guy towed heavy farm equipment every day and did truck pulls etc. he said that that guy pushed his truck and if there was a weak link that guy would find it.

They said they stud 6.0s all day long which I knew of and said the 6.4s heads are 8lbs heavier of material than 6.0s and showed me the stud size differences between the two. Which I knew the 6.4 was a little more stout. Anyways he said he could do the studding if I wanted but after doing the deletes I could run on 300hd and not have an issue with the hg. He is that confident in the motor, as long as I'm not driving like a complete idiot at every stop light.

However, studding would still make me confident as for bullitproofing along with coolant filter and fuel/water seperator.... What do you guys think? He said he could stud it for just over 1k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you can afford it and makes you feel better about the truck reliability, do it. I guarantee if I owned a 6.4, that would be on the top of my to do list.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:29 AM

for 1k i would do it. no hg are safe. they blow on stock trucks. if you run the hd300 tune your a ticking time bomb of when the hg will go. it could be 50k miles or 500 miles but eventually they will let loose
Old 12-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Where is he that he can do it for a grand?! I'll be there tomorrow to have him do my truck!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-16-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryAggie View Post
Where is he that he can do it for a grand?! I'll be there tomorrow to have him do my truck!

Nw Indiana. Just over a grand. He said lately he hasn't been using arp due to back order. He is using another brand just as good he said. I can't remember the brand but he said there are pro racers etc that use this other brand. It's with the cab off too. I'm prob gonna do it for the piece of mind to run any tune I want without any problems, after Xmas of course
Old 12-16-2012, 11:47 AM

i would only use arp. tthey are proven to last. 1k is super cheap
Old 12-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ya I would so arp or nothing also.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:56 AM

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully when I'm ready they won't be on back order. That was a little while ago, so maybe now they're not.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:59 PM

If you can afford it do it. A quick google search will inform you that blown head gaskets happen quite a bit on the 6.4. They happen on tuned trucks and they happen on stock trucks. Mine have had to be done twice. Both times running a mild tow tune and I never beat on my truck. The reason for the second time is a shop screw up the heads were not checked.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Serving Our Country!

Where at in NW Indiana? I am in Valparaiso (Wanatah to be exact). I am very curious about this as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.