Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Another AFe Intake CEL Problem?

4K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Goolsbymd 
#1 ·
Seems to me like the 5000 intakes they sold 4999 of them have problems? Now I have a $250 paper wieght. I think its kinda crappy that AFe will not offer a refund or any assistance to people that are having this problem with thier intakes?

#5 ·
Just my 2 cents about the AFE

If you followed my posts I had the same problem with my AFE CAI. I got the CEL and it would not go away. AFE was helpful, they sent me an updated intake tube. That did not work. They then sent me a "dry" filter. That didn't work either. I wound up going back to stock. My AFE sits in a box on a shelf in my garage. Maybe my truck is a Friday afternoon or Monday morning vehicle, but it DOES NOT like any kind of mods. The only mod I did not have trouble with was the Magnaflow 5" DPF back exhaust. I had bad experiences with AFE and now with a Flashpaq Tuner. I must be a die hard because I still have failed to learn my lesson. Thus the F-350 with 4700 miles goes back to the dealer for the second time. Primarily from mods. I absolutely love power and torque. It is addicting. But the aggrevation I am having is starting to wear thin. Perhaps I was too quick to experiment. Oh well my opinion only..There seem to be other members who have no problem with mods (and my name isn't Murphy) Other than the dislike to mods, I love my truck!!!!! CYA

#6 ·
Well here is another thing to consider......I was having the same problem that the both were having, I did get a new tube and I'm not sure if that is that answer.....I really don't know because my truck was down when I got the new tube. Once I turned off regen, the CEL did not and has not come on at all. I check to see if there are any codes every 2 weeks just to be safe and nothing. Now, I have heard that the tube design is the problem and the relocation of the MAF is throwing off the the computer. However, if I have the same intake that the two of you have....which I'm sure I do.....the problems you are having is directly related to regen mode, the DPF, and related sensors.....just another reason to get rid of regen and the DPF, plus more power, better sounding, lower EGTs and of course awesome fuel mileage....:rockwoot:

#14 ·
AFE FILTERS

A properly installed Pro-Guard 7 filter kit WILL NOT by-pass dirt into the intake stream. If you have a loose clamp or slightly mis-aligned tube/hose connection, you can expect dirt to pass through there. I have seen plenty of mis-installed kits come through from all major brands. A simple check up of clamps and hose connections is required with any intake system regardless if ti is OEM or aftermarket. ALso note: if you clean your filters you must evenly apply oil onto the media or dirt can get by the un-oiled or low oil spots as well. As the oil is what helps contain the smaller micron debris from passing through the gaps in the media.

#15 ·
I have a 08 6.4, i kind of saw this coming with all the posts on this topic but i thought id give it a try.

yeah i got a afe stage 2 progaurd filter for my 6.4. less then 500 miles after i put it on i got the CEL, it actually came on today. right now i still dont know what to do, i havent had any problems at all with my truck and i really liked the filter before the CEL came on.

any ideas what i can do, i emailed afe a few minutes ago hopefully theyll email me back, im gonna go outside and double checkt he filter for loose connections or anything.

#18 ·
Not to add insult to injury, because I know too well how it feels to shell out good money on mods, only to have them wind up on the shelf. Having said that, there is no fix. Some trucks seem to do OK with the AFE (unless they are not fessing up) and some do not. Mine did not. I wound up going back to stock and having a lot of aggrevation in the process.
If your throwing CEL, the ONLY fix is to go back to stock. I have encountered no-one who could tell me otherwise. Best of luck.

#19 ·
Not to add insult to injury, because I know too well how it feels to shell out good money on mods, only to have them wind up on the shelf. Having said that, there is no fix. Some trucks seem to do OK with the AFE (unless they are not fessing up) and some do not. Mine did not. I wound up going back to stock and having a lot of aggrevation in the process.
If your throwing CEL, the ONLY fix is to go back to stock. I have encountered no-one who could tell me otherwise. Best of luck.
There is a fix.....you have to turn off regen, but you void your warranty.....everything mod wise, poor fuel mileage, and poor performance is related to regen, you turn that off and you have a whole new truck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.