learn me about tunes, if you will.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Hunter of Trolls

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
learn me about tunes, if you will..

I'm coming out of gassers, and have even programmed a few along the way.. the tunes for those is pretty much about trimming fuel delivery based off of throttle position and air fuel ratios, and advancing timing just as far as you can before experiencing pre detonation, and backing off until it doesn't anymore, and maybe a few things revolving around those two functions, such as altering expected temperatures so you can run cooler using a lower rated stat without tripping codes, and in effort to reduce likelihood of predet..

Anyway, this diesel is a different animal..

What functions are altered with the tunes to get more torque?

I'm asking, because I want to comprehensively choose a tune on my h&s that is the least likely to cause damage.. damage such as blasting a head gasket due to more injection or boost, or wet stacking due to too much delivery that isn't being used..

If I knew how these tunes worked their magic, I figure I can nail down the tune closest to what would benefit me most in terms of performance, longevity, and economy..

Thanks in advance, fellas..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well, it works a little differently still when a turbo is involved. I'm a little too tired to get into it right now, but more boost + more fuel = more power.

If you're running a Mini maxx with Hot Damn tunes (HD300), I, like others, get the best MPGs on Wild or Hot while keeping it around 55-65 MPH.

Heavy right foot will damage the motor though. Some guys get lucky and can romp on the Hot tune with stock studs and nothing goes wrong. Other guys run No Power and need new studs and heads.

The good thing about the Mini maxx is that you can "summon" the power in seconds by simply hitting a button and then immediately dial it back down in seconds when it's not needed.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Hunter of Trolls

As always, doss, I appreciate the input.. what I'm looking to learn, though, is more along the lines of this:

All conjecture... But...

Easy tune/wild: dumps (x)cc fuel extra at (x) timing under (x)#'s of boost.. as compared to the HD300/wild, which dumps (y) cc of fuel at (y) timing under (y)#'s of boost..

The volume of fuel and the boost shoved in the cylinder will dramatically increase the compression, which places exponential pressure on head gaskets, piston faces, rings, rods.. ect... As it increases.. with that increase, so does the risk of something failing.. but dang, so does the power.. .

I'd be most interested in knowing WHEN the injection happens, I think.. and, how much.. I'm thinking I'm willing to compromise some power/performance for reasonable volume/timing that doesn't push the envelope on blowing crap apart..

I'm looking for that perfect compromise, in other words..
Old 12-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Hunter of Trolls

Edited to add: if a squirt of fuel is added at just a few degrees from tdc, I'm thinking this would be the best tune.. spitting it at that time would coincide with tdc and the added air from boosting accordingly, and the end of the piston upward motion anyway... So, as long as you didn't over do it, the only thing at true risk is a head gasket.. in my thinking, the safest play would be to locate the tune that sprays closest to tdc, under decently safe boost, and with volume enough to make a powerful burn but without the black smoke...

If I could see how the tunes are engineered, it doesn't seem like It would be that hard to nail this down.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Hunter of Trolls

bump...

calling out H&S!!! calling out Spartan!!! calling out SCT!!! calling out anyone who has drafted their own tune!!!!

I would really appreciate the information.. I'm looking for the tables that approximate the volume/time of fuel delivery (without giving up any information you don't want to share) that allows me to select the best risk/reward range of tune..

thanks in advance..
Old 12-24-2012, 06:49 AM

if i'm not mistaken you can't actually change the timing on these trucks all you can alter is when the injector fires off but i'm not 100% for sure. the sticker on my motor says that you cant adjust timing on these motors
Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There is no timing from spark like a gas engine.The timing is actualy set by injectors.There is no detonation because the compression is what ignites the fuel and not spark.so if the injector fires to early it will not ignite till TDC then there is no atomization so it will not ignite.If the injector fires late there will be no fuel in the cylinder to burn.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Hunter of Trolls

when i spoke of timing, the timing i refer to is injector timing.. it's pretty damn important..
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

10-4 when you said you came from gasser background i assumed you were comparing it to gas engine.I see your point now.and yes it is important.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Hunter of Trolls

I was mobile when I typed that last message, and it was likely perceived shorter than i intended..

yeah, i can tune gassers because i understand their functions and events.. I don't understand oil burners so well.. I'd love to break down the events/timing and see where changes are applied that net such gains.. i'm trying to get a grip on injection timing right now, but i read conflicting accounts of pre-tdc and post-tdc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.