wastegate questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wastegate questions

This may be a stupid question but I couldn't find anything on it. Why couldn't you just drill and tap a line from the compressor housing on the Turbo to the wastegate and put it there instead of down where the Egr delete goes. Just trying to figure it out since that's how it works on most cars and a cummins or duramax diesel. If you did this would you have to wastegate both turbos or just the big one. I'm assuming putting it down by the Egr effectively limits boost on both turbos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 07:48 AM

I'm not an expert but its my understanding that the small turbo (high pressure) doesn't have a big enough turbine housing to flow the air generated on a high tune/high rpm so it creates high back pressure. So its not the big turbo creating the high ebp to my knowledge. And i believe its just easier to put a wastegate where the egr cooler was and the size of the wastegate is usually around 40-42mm so the hole you would have to drill would be quite large not to mention you would risk getting metal shavings it the turbo in the process and its pretty tight in there!
Hope this helps
Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well, it really doesn't go where the EGR or cooler was/is... maybe I'm just reading that wrong.

The kits I've seen put the wastegate at the top of the pipe that previously fed the horizontal EGR cooler at the rear. That pipe leads into the hot side of the turbo. By putting the wastegate there, you can effectively regulate both turbos and it can be bolted up easily... besides the welded fitting you'll have to apply to the downpipe.

I hope you're not talking about a blow-off valve on the other set ups. That's a little different.

Also, after some testing, the verdict is still out on whether or not you'll need a wastegate for the 6.4. I'm sure if you're running non-stock turbos that it's probably a good thing to have... maybe even a stocker with modified wheels.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The VGT turbo and EGR valve control back pressure on these trucks, which is why there is no wastegate from the factory. Once the EGR valve is deleted, you're only able to control back pressure with the VGT turbo. This isn't a bad thing. Most tuners have found a pretty good spot with VGT duty cycle tuning to control back pressure with the EGR valve shut off.

Most people are gating total back pressure, not in between stages. I have an Elite 71mm and stock VGT on my truck and I don't run a gate. Been running the setup since early this year. I'm still running stock fuel though, which keeps back pressure from getting out of hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.