EGR / EGR Cooler questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 11:06 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR / EGR Cooler questions

Im a newb and have been searching this forum for a few days and have not come accross a clear answer for my question... So here it is:

Im concerned about the EGR coolers and potential problems for leaks and also the Nasty crap I see in the inlet from the EGR system.. Problem is I just bought the truck and with only 24k miles want to be protected by my warranty...

Soooo Im looking for a way to be able to get the benefits of not having the egr/egr coolant system in place but still be able to return to stock id needed for a seriouse warranty problem if it were to arise.

I would do the complete egr delete but really that doesnt look feasable to put back in place once removed... So I found these block off plates that goes infront of the two coolers, which would allow the coolers to remain in place and was thinking of doing this with the EGR turned off in my programmer. This way I still have all my factory components if I need to return to stock....Question is will this keep the intake from getting gummed up if the egr is turned off in the tune and do theses plates work as described blocking off coolant flow and eliminating the egr coooler issues?????

Thanks in advance and again I did alot of searches first but couldnt find a clear answer...

6.4L Powerstroke EGR Cooler Block plates

larger image

Our Price: $29.99
Model: EGRCLRBLOCK6.4L
Shipping Weight: 1lbs
Manufactured by: Dfuser

Last edited by htgspecialties; 12-09-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 05:22 PM

I'm new to all this too but I have a friend that owns a diesel shop and he told me that if I wanted the truck to last that I needed to do the egr and cooler delete.
He has trucks in his shop with less than 100,000 miles on them with blown engines and mostly due to the egr/cooler.

You'll need an H&S tuner or some other brand to turn off the egr and from what little I've heard is that once you install one of these tuners on your truck your pretty much doing away with any warranty you may have.
The problem is though is that if you don't do away with the egr/cooler and the dpf then you will have problems sooner than later and the warranty doesn't always do what their supposed to do so your still out a lot of money in the end.

My .02, I was told if I wanted my truck to be problem free for years to come to get rid of all the bs so I did and I have no regrets.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
just get a BPD or Sinister EGR delete kit.. just get it gone, emissions stuff doesn't do much good for out diesels
Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 PM

I used a Flo-Pro kit with elbow. I could put the EGR coolers and elbow back in, but it'd probably take the better part of a day to do so.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:25 AM

Wow Im a little disappointed to now realize I need to just delete stuff that will leave me without warranty to have a somewhat dependable truck... I paid heavy for it because of low milage 24k and the fact it still had 2.5 years left on warranty... I was thinking when I went with a diesel it would ensure years of service that would be pretty trouble free and have a warranty to boot...

With that said Im going to do a delete because I think I want to catch it early before any damage is done... I think Ford dropped the ball on the 6.0 and 6.4 diesels...

Thanks for all the help and last question is what kit is the most complete/direct fit???

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-10-2012, 04:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
The 6.0 was kind of a dud depending on the truck, but the 6.4 is a good motor, but was plagued by government regulation. All new diesel trucks are suffering from the same plague. EGR systems are killers. Some food for thought, I have a good friend who is an emissions inspector, so when I did my emissions this year we decided to just run it for chits and grins as he was going to pass me anyways. My truck passed the actual emissions with out having a dpf and egr, in the 150hp dpf off tune . It doesnt pass the visual inspection though

The best EGR delete kits I would say are the flo pro, and the PTP kit. They are very similar kits and close in price.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud2k View Post
The 6.0 was kind of a dud depending on the truck, but the 6.4 is a good motor, but was plagued by government regulation. All new diesel trucks are suffering from the same plague. EGR systems are killers. Some food for thought, I have a good friend who is an emissions inspector, so when I did my emissions this year we decided to just run it for chits and grins as he was going to pass me anyways. My truck passed the actual emissions with out having a dpf and egr, in the 150hp dpf off tune . It doesnt pass the visual inspection though

The best EGR delete kits I would say are the flo pro, and the PTP kit. They are very similar kits and close in price.
Thanks for that post, It gives me some hope... Right now NJ has no inspection however I heard from a freind of mine who works at dmv that may eventually change.. I bought this truck for my son and I have a heavily modded Lightining that cant pass inspection since the dmv stepped up the requirements for emissions testing... Long story short he just wanted a truck that he did not have to worry about all the crap I go through with my truck and right after buying this one Im already deleting emissions...LOL Its my fault I should have done more research before buying... It is what it is at this point. I will look into those kits and get one this week...
Ill complain about the install as I will probably do it this coming week end if I get up the nerve...lol
Old 12-10-2012, 05:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
If you dont have emissions right now, I wouldnt worry. If its not being talk about publicly, it is probably many years out. As for the install, its not bad. Takes about 6 hrs if you are good at turning wrenches. Just make sure you have a second set of hands available when the time comes to pull the coolers.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htgspecialties View Post
Thanks for that post, It gives me some hope... Right now NJ has no inspection however I heard from a freind of mine who works at dmv that may eventually change.. I bought this truck for my son and I have a heavily modded Lightining that cant pass inspection since the dmv stepped up the requirements for emissions testing... Long story short he just wanted a truck that he did not have to worry about all the crap I go through with my truck and right after buying this one Im already deleting emissions...LOL Its my fault I should have done more research before buying... It is what it is at this point. I will look into those kits and get one this week...
Ill complain about the install as I will probably do it this coming week end if I get up the nerve...lol
I thought I recognized that screen name, your on lightningrodder too.

Find yourself an H&S Mini Maxx before there all gone and
Happy modding....Again!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profarm72 View Post
I thought I recognized that screen name, your on lightningrodder too.

Find yourself an H&S Mini Maxx before there all gone and
Happy modding....Again!
Thanks brother, I guess I like punishment..LOL I'm not modding this truck much just want it straightened out to be dependable for my kid...

As far as programmers go I have a superchips that the original owner gave me with the truck since he had done the dpf... It does the egr delete, dpf and intake options, It also does 5 tunes that are pre-loaded, hopefully thats all I need, As I don't want to purchase another if this will do the job...

By the way I just ordered the pro-flo kit hopefully I get it by saturday so I can get this done this coming weekend....

Last edited by htgspecialties; 12-10-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.