H and s mini max transmission relearn?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
H and s mini max transmission relearn??

I am wondering what transmission setting to use I am still not sure which tune to download I am really not doing this for the power just to make my truck last longer but it would be nice to be able to feel the power every once in a while any advice would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I run shift schedule 1 in the medium or low option. This locks the torque converter in 4th and 5th gear like stock. If you do a lot of heavy towing pick medium. If you just do a lot of highway driving pick schedule 1 low. The medium or low is when the tranny shifts. Low is it shifts at lower rpms which I like and help improve mileage. Medium is nice because it doesn't lug the engine as much and you have power when you need it for towing. For the tune, I would just select the hot damn tunes and if you don't want all the power or risk just run it on the no power setting on the tune on the fly. If your feeling the need for speed, click it up to mild, wild or hot with a push of a button and you have more power.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok thanks for info. What about the relearn cycle 0-80 1/4 throttle to full throttle. Is doing this necessary? Do you have to do it every time you change your tune from no power to mild wild or hot?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:59 PM

I don't do the relearn any more. It just learns on its own after some driving. If you are going to do the relearn it only has to be done when you switch tunes. Adjusting power levels you don't have to do it.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:15 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 King Ranch 6.4 View Post
Ok thanks for info. What about the relearn cycle 0-80 1/4 throttle to full throttle. Is doing this necessary? Do you have to do it every time you change your tune from no power to mild wild or hot?
I try to do it but you dont have to. it will learn on its own but takes longer to smooth out. I never switch from the HD300 tunes so I only had to deal with it when i returned it to stock a few weeks ago. and like he said you dont have to do it every time, just switching from mild to hot just changes power, tranny is still the same.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Don't you worry about it

I have never once done a "relearn." As stated above these transmission learn as you drive them. Also I don't see how anyone can stand the shift one tunes. I run shift 2 med and its the closest to stock I think.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

You need to do a relearn when ever you go from stock to HD300. When you load the tune it wipes out what your Trans has learned. So if you go from stock to hot on HD300 your Trans won't know how to handle the power. If you get on it You will hurt your Trans. If you don't do a relearn it take a long time for your Trans to learn. And if you forget and hammer down on it, not good for the Trans.
I didn't do a relearn on my one 6.0 and forgot, let's just 7k later I learn my lesson.

Your Trans is always learning and a relearn helps it learn you just doubled you power output.
For the OP if you have it in HD300 you do not have to do a relearn when you go from hd300-stock to hd300- mild to hd300- wild to hd300-hot. You only have to relearn when you go from bone stock to tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Don't you worry about it

There is no need to do a trans relearn however if it makes you feel better then go for it.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks guys. I want this to be a good thing so I don't have to spend money on repairs just trying to do everything right.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted Fords View Post
You need to do a relearn when ever you go from stock to HD300. When you load the tune it wipes out what your Trans has learned. So if you go from stock to hot on HD300 your Trans won't know how to handle the power. If you get on it You will hurt your Trans. If you don't do a relearn it take a long time for your Trans to learn. And if you forget and hammer down on it, not good for the Trans.
I didn't do a relearn on my one 6.0 and forgot, let's just 7k later I learn my lesson.

Your Trans is always learning and a relearn helps it learn you just doubled you power output.
For the OP if you have it in HD300 you do not have to do a relearn when you go from hd300-stock to hd300- mild to hd300- wild to hd300-hot. You only have to relearn when you go from bone stock to tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

It shouldn't hurt the tranny on a 6.4 without doing the re-learn. My guess is it works just like a fuel map, H&S loads a base map, then the truck uses the base map and writes another map on top of it as it "learns", making small adjustments to the base map.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.