EGR Delet or not - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question EGR Delet or not

Ok , well I have read lots of posts on the search feature and still wondering whats the best way to go. Getting Mini Max next week and plan on doing dpf and cat delet, I know you can turn off the egr with the mini max, but did not know if that was the best way to go. Some of the guys around here are saying to just shut it off and it will be fine.Truck is a 2010 f250 w/ 60k miles. I live in east tx so not worried too much about inspection of emmisions equipment. Just want better fuel mileage and more go////
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Do it for better peace of mind

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Look for pictures of how clogged the intake elbow and intake are. At the very least you're going to want to replace the elbow... which means you might as well delete the coolers as well.

This is pretty much the opposite of what causes most people to decide to do this (most want to get rid of the EGR coolers and later decided on the elbow).
Old 12-04-2012, 04:43 AM

That is most likely what I am going to do sometime. Delete coolers but wait to do the elbow and CAC pipe.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 AM

I'm curious why those that need to keep their EGR coolers in place for warranty and emissions testing do not make a kit which blocks the exhaust at the entrance of the lower cooler?

Could you not loosen the joint at the exhaust manifold, loosen the straps on the horizontal cooler and then squeeze in a 8 or 10 gage block off plate and re-tighten the bolts? That would deadhead the exhaust in the manifold AND the biggest benefit - not allow any possible EGR coolant leaks to flow back thru the exhaust manifold and into the engine. You would continue to flow coolant thru the coolers, but since they don't have hot exhaust blowing thru them, the possibility of cracking due to thermal shock is eliminated. Then once it's time to go back to stock for whatever reason....swap out the intake elbow with the OEM EGR valve and remove the block-off plate from inbetween the exhaust/cooler joint. BHAM......and replace the DPF/DOC....retune....yadda...yadda..yadda....

Sorry to sidetrack the OP's thread....but since we are talking about deleting EGR valves and coolers...thought I'd post.

-Mike
Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 AM

It might be a little tricky to get the leverage to move the coolers with them connect to each other. I'm sure it could be done, but it would be a pretty big hassle IMO.

The exhaust block off plate for the horizontal cooler is about 6 gauge (it may be 8 gauge), but I didn't measure it.

I think for most people it's easier just to get a tuner and let that shut the EGR and call it a day. You don't even have to spin a wrench to do that.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:44 AM

I got the PTP EGR delete kit which contains about a 1/4" thick block-off plate with thru bolts and nuts to fasten onto the exhaust manifold. I haven't researched "6.4L EGR block-off plates" yet, so I don't know if anything is available. Since I have the PTP plate, I can use it as a template to trace onto the sheetmetal.

I was thinking of making a relatively thin - 10ga which is .134in thick plate. Maybe you are right and I can't wiggle the horizontal cooler forward .135in to get my blocking spacer in there. I would like to try and report back unless someone already has and failed.

All in all - the idea was to put my mind at ease by removing the possibility of an EGR cooler leak hydro-locking a piston in the event of a failure. ....AND keeping them installed for warranty/emission work.

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.