Performance parts arrived! Questions on install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 10:32 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Performance parts arrived! Questions on install

Decided to treat myself to an early birthday present.

Put in my order last week with PTP (awesome prices and service)for a Mini-Maxx, CAI and 5" Turbo Back Exhaust, and I got it all yesterday. Just have a couple of questions.

1) I Installed the Mini-Maxx last night and I'm currently running it with the DPF on with the Hot tune, would it hurt to slap on the CAI or should I wait till I get the exhaust installed and switch to the DPF removed tunes?

2) What's a reasonably price to pay to get a 5" turbo-back exhaust installed, and anyone know of a reputable shop in S.FL?

I would normally install the exhaust myself but I don't have enough space and access to my old tools in my new townhouse.

Thanks to anyone who responds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

1. Go ahead and throw it on. It won't hurt anything.

2. Depends on the shop. $50-100 an hour and should take 3 hours (safe low estimate). I'd expect between $200-500 to do the exhaust work. If it was just the downpipe back, it'd be much cheaper of course.

Honestly, you need a ratchet, a few deep sockets, a couple of extensions, a few wrenches, and some penetrating oil and you can get most of it done yourself. The downpipe will almost definitely require a hacksaw or reciprocating saw.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:55 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Here is what you need. You need a 15mm deep well socket to get the tail pipe disconnected from the dpf, and a 13mm regular socket with a swivel and a 5-6" extension to get the bolts at the bottom of the down pipe flange. Some penetrating oil for the hangers and maybe a rubber mallet to seperate the tail section from the dpf and that's it. I used a jack to raise the rear end of the truck to all more room to twist the tail pipe out. That is for down pipe back exhaust. Turbo back is a different story. It requires undoing the v band clamp on the down pipe connecting it to turbo. Don't qoute me on this but I believe it's a 12mm deep well. Once you get the v band off, pull the down pipe down as far as it will go and cut it in half, then u will be able to remove it. Putting the new exhaust on is pretty easy, start at the turbo, install down pipe and mid piping without tightening any clamps, then install tail pipe and muffler or muffler delete pipe. Once that is hung find the right size piece to connect the mid pipe to the muffler section. The instructions will have more detail. You may have a hard time getting someone to do the work due to it removing the emission equipment but I'm not sure. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:58 PM

Hmmm, if that's the case I think I could manage doing the DP back portion of it...I got a Diamond Eye kit; would it bolt up to the stock downpipe for now until I put the Diamond Eye downpipe in later on?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:38 PM

I think I remember the guys at PTP telling me it bolts on to the stock system (downpipe). You should be able to look at it when it comes in and tell. if it has a 2 bolt flange at the downpipe to delete connection, then yes.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doss View Post
I think I remember the guys at PTP telling me it bolts on to the stock system (downpipe). You should be able to look at it when it comes in and tell. if it has a 2 bolt flange at the downpipe to delete connection, then yes.
what he said, if it has the 2 bolt ball and socket flange then you should be able to handle it. the only hard part to getting the down pipe on is cutting the old one. since you have to un bolt it and pull it down as low as possible its gonna be hard to cut it without having extra hands, one person holding the top, one person holding the bottom and one person cutting.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:08 PM

I got the downpipe back, 4" Diamond Eye system because I didn't think the benefit (if any) of the turbo-back outweighed the extra effort to install. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
I got the downpipe back, 4" Diamond Eye system because I didn't think the benefit (if any) of the turbo-back outweighed the extra effort to install. Good luck!
I agree, i fought my 4" down pipe up into my 6.0 and that was enough for me. Although if your going for big power then i see where its needed but for us average joes just wanting our truck deleted without running just a delete pipe, the down pipe back is great. when my truck had to go back for warranty, I had the aftermarket exhaust off and dpf and tailpipe back on in under two hours. very easy to do, down pipe= not so easy. although i would really like to hear 4" down pipe to 5" exhaust to see if it deepens the tone at all.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:26 PM

I doubt there's going to be much difference in sound between stock downpipe vs 4" downpipe to 5" exhaust. There is a difference between 4 and 5" DP back of course, but that's a lot of pipe and turns to change the acoustics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.