Pure Performance Track Bar problems are getting really old - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to lancinfish
Pure Performance Track Bar problems are getting really old

Have any of you experienced problems with the SH!T bushing on the frame end of the Pure Performance track bar? I have had this thing for 20,000 miles on my truck and will be replacing the bushing for the 3rd time. Got on the interstate today and had the death wobble that comes when the bushing wears out. Came home tonight and had my buddy come over and just as I have figured, the bushing is worn out again.

I am going to order one tomorrow, but the last time I called them it was a bunch of excuses. They told me that in wet environments like "Florida" they see premature wear. I think that's BS.

As well, the last time I did the bushing, I went ahead and replaced the ball joint on the other end of the track bar. It didn't seem to be worn very much, but for sake of making sure that it was right, I did it.

Hopefully someone has some help. I am about to throw this damn thing in the trash can and take of the leveling kit so I can go back to the stock parts. I am really feeling like this thing is a crap design and in the two last phone calls to them, I didn't get any support for as much money as this thing cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 08:56 PM

I have the icon track bar with the poly bushing (different I know) but considering its a poly bushing I only torqued it to 285 ft lbs with the logic of tightening it to 410 ft lbs would wear the bushing out quicker because there's so much pinching force on the bushing. Maybe I should of asked before, how much are you torquing it at the frame?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:58 PM

I'd also like to add that I do use my truck mildly off road as well as towing and nearly two years after the install I havnt had an issue.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I got my leveling kit from newton lifts and it came with track bar spacers to keep the axle centered. Maybe if all else fails look into that. I'm sure he would just sell you the spacers and you could put the stock components back in with the spacers. Just an idea, good luck!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:36 AM

yours looks like this correct? any chance the lube u use is deteriorating the bushing?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
yours looks like this correct? any chance the lube u use is deteriorating the bushing?

That is a very good point. Some lubes are not compatible with some bushings.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:57 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You must Tq the track bar to factory specs..400+ ftlbs. Older Pure bushings used WD40 thats all. I've never had a issue with Pure's or Icons properly tq'd..

Wobble...vast majority its from the lack of Castor these trucks have stock..add a lift its worce.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancinfish View Post
Have any of you experienced problems with the SH!T bushing on the frame end of the Pure Performance track bar? I have had this thing for 20,000 miles on my truck and will be replacing the bushing for the 3rd time. Got on the interstate today and had the death wobble that comes when the bushing wears out. Came home tonight and had my buddy come over and just as I have figured, the bushing is worn out again.

I am going to order one tomorrow, but the last time I called them it was a bunch of excuses. They told me that in wet environments like "Florida" they see premature wear. I think that's BS.

As well, the last time I did the bushing, I went ahead and replaced the ball joint on the other end of the track bar. It didn't seem to be worn very much, but for sake of making sure that it was right, I did it.

Hopefully someone has some help. I am about to throw this damn thing in the trash can and take of the leveling kit so I can go back to the stock parts. I am really feeling like this thing is a crap design and in the two last phone calls to them, I didn't get any support for as much money as this thing cost.
Sir

I beleive the tech you spoke with today actually diagnosed your issue correctly. As one of the tech's here I have never heard anyone say anything about moisture and if they did, they are no longer here because I spoke to the other 2 techs and they all said they never said anything like that.

However, your issue as I understand it is caused by two things. First, you added spacers which is making you light on caster with no caster correction, which we recommended ball joint cams for the uppers so you can ge the caster back. Low caster is just like a shopping cart wheel and will promote a death wobble condition. Second, you stated the offset in the bar is a little "shy" for your application which is due to the spacer lift and no axle position correction. When putting a spacer in the vehicle and not correcting the axle position, the axle slides back a little bit, thus creating that issue.

Like we mentioned, one of our techs is looking into a heim joint for your application to take any and all extra misalignment caused by your axle positioning. However, this will not be the "be all" end all solution as you still have to correct for the lighter caster setting.

It has nothing to do with the design of the part, just the compilation of components you have in the vehicle. We are sorry if you feel that is "Sh!t" in your terms. I will be sure to let the tech know who is working on a real solution for you.

Pure Performance
Old 11-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Tell us more about what has been done to your truck?

How much lift?
Caster correction?
Ball Joint condition?

I have run that exact SH!T bushing on my last 2 Jeeps and on my current 2008 F350. The 07 Jeep had that bushing front and rear as does the new 2012 Jeep. I put close to 50k on the Rock Krawler (Pure's sister comany) lift on the last truck with zero issues and it saw mild off roading. I have that exact track bar on my 08 F350 for almost 2 years also with zero issues. I did torque that bolt to the required 408 lbs and re-torqued it at 500 miles like you are supposed to. I'm a bit lazy as far as greasing things so I have never put a pump of grease in it yet.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

George

They are different bushings. The F250 bushing is the same as the Ram HD track bar pushing. Ultra tight PTMEG Material.

JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.