Canned Tuner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 07:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Canned Tuner

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions. I am going to tune my 09, but I want a canned tuner that i can remove and it wont leave a footprint when I bring it in for warranty work. From my research, it looks like H&S, Spartan, and SCT w/Erics Tunes are the top 3.

I had the SCT on my 08 dually and it was pretty damn good, but cant remember if it allowed for reading of the egts.

Sct seems alot cheaper than the Spartan Phalanx as well (bout $400).

Not sure about H&S.

I will not be doing the exhaust or egr yet, that will be later. Right now, just a tuner that will not leave a print. What do y'all recommend. Most likely will be running a 285x75x17 as well....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Search function is your friend on this website. The H&S will NOT leave a footprint. Get it and be done.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 PM

No ****, really? I did search, hence my comment "from my research".
Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 PM

Well, I don't know about the rest when installed because I don't use them, but the Mini Maxx is great.

You can monitor up to 4 things at once and also display one of them as a digital gauge.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:12 AM

MY problem with Spartan and H&S are that they are both over 1200 when the SCT is less than 900 w/erics tunes. Are they that much different to justify the price?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnfool View Post
MY problem with Spartan and H&S are that they are both over 1200 when the SCT is less than 900 w/erics tunes. Are they that much different to justify the price?
The h&s is around 950. One of the conveniences is the shift on the fly so I guess you pay a bit for that but it gives the option of 4 different power levels at the touch of a button so there is no need for taking the time to do another download after the original download. That is unless you are changing to a different set of tunes. The spartan has the best monitoring device so I am guessing you pay a fair bit for that as well as a large variety of tunes.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
The mini max is under $1000. The mini max is fairly cheap compared to the black max, but it is small. The spartan dashdaq is the best monitor on the market in my eyes. You can monitor up to 6 guages at once if you want. It is also a little cleaner looking as well. I have been reading some SCT issues on the forums lately with the tuner locking up the ecm and things of that nature. Hard to say if its truck related or tuner related though.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:49 AM

I think I am going to go with the H&S Black Maxx. I have a couple of questions though for those running it.

It states it reads the pre turbo egt's with no drilling or nothing and that you can run "race" pipe with no sensors at all.

1. If I delete my DOC/DPF, then I wont need sensors?
2. How will it read my EGT's after the turbo? Or am I remembering wrong and only need the pre turbo?
3. They offer two prices, with and without egt probe, which do I get?
4. It also seems they offer more than the canned tunes, how do I get those?

I am still searching and reading, so I may answer my own questions...
Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
One thing h&s over sct is you don't have to plug in the sensors in the exhaust. Which can be a pain to get the sensors out of the dpf.

1. Correct
2. The 6.4 comes from the factory with an egt probe pre turbo that will read as pyro 1 on the mini maxx
3. You get the one without egt probe because u already have one
4. You will be able to pick easy, mild or the hot tunes when you tune your truck and each one of those settings have 4 power levels. No power, mild, wild, hot. Also can choose trans shift schedule when tuning. And u can buy h&s mcc (maxx calibration control) which is like efi live for fords and you can make your own tunes. You can also contact kem and get tunes from them also.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:02 AM

I don't think you're going to find a Black Maxx anywhere. They have been out of production for a while now while the new version is currently in limbo due to the ongoing EPA deal. They may still be on track to release the new Black Maxx, but I don't know.

I thought the Mini Maxx was WAY TOO SMALL at first. I was like, "This is a toy." Now though, I prefer that it stays out of my sight unless I need to look at it. It's far less distracting at night. The gauge is easy to read and the 4 sensor digital out is pretty easy to read also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.