4800# coils up front & block removal out back - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 05:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4800# coils up front & block removal out back

I wanted to lower my 2010 CCSB a smidge to help with access into the garage, ingress/egress and overall look. I'm running stock tires and stock 20" rims.

I found a set of 4800lb front coil springs on eBay for super cheap. I'm planning on removing the factory block in the rear as well.

For those who have done this, is there enough thread on the ubolts and is it ok to reuse the ubolts?

Should I cut down the bump stops or are there some aftermarket ones I can get that are a little shorter?

Oh and one more question - is this change enough to warrant a trip to the alignment shop?

Thanks!

-Mike

Last edited by MikeSherman; 11-29-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

You will need shorter u-bolts. I would also trim down the front bump stops some as well. You shouldn't have a problem with the rears. When I did 4400lb springs and no block, I didn't need an alignment. The steering wheel was also fine and didn't need any adjustment. I could have just been lucky though.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSherman View Post
I wanted to lower my 2010 CCSB a smidge to help with access into the garage, ingress/egress and overall look. I'm running stock tires and stock 20" rims.

I found a set of 4800lb front coil springs on eBay for super cheap. I'm planning on removing the factory block in the rear as well.

For those who have done this, is there enough thread on the ubolts and is it ok to reuse the ubolts?

Should I cut down the bump stops or are there some aftermarket ones I can get that are a little shorter?

Oh and one more question - is this change enough to warrant a trip to the alignment shop?

Thanks!

-Mike
Assuming you have a diesel motor, prepare for your front end to bottom-out a fair bit. Also watch for an increased occurrence of death wobble, as the higher rated coils seems to help take some of the squirm out of the front ends on these trucks. My truck would bottom-out in the front with the factory 5,200LB coils so I went to 6,000s, and then to 7,000s. No more mushy front end when cornering and no more bottoming-out when pulling into my suburban driveway.

Good Luck.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
Assuming you have a diesel motor, prepare for your front end to bottom-out a fair bit. Also watch for an increased occurrence of death wobble, as the higher rated coils seems to help take some of the squirm out of the front ends on these trucks. My truck would bottom-out in the front with the factory 5,200LB coils so I went to 6,000s, and then to 7,000s. No more mushy front end when cornering and no more bottoming-out when pulling into my suburban driveway.

Good Luck.
Death wobble?

I never once experienced death wobble. My truck rode amazing with 5.4L front springs. I also made quite a few passes at the drag strip with that setup. Cut a 1.66 60 foot with a real stable front end. Only time I had issues was launching above 18 psi.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
You will need shorter u-bolts. I would also trim down the front bump stops some as well. You shouldn't have a problem with the rears. When I did 4400lb springs and no block, I didn't need an alignment. The steering wheel was also fine and didn't need any adjustment. I could have just been lucky though.
Any idea what size and length of shorter Ubolts?

I'll keep my stock springs in case I'm not happy with the 4800# springs.

Thanks for the info, guys!

-Mike
Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I have some. I'll measure them later for you.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
I have some. I'll measure them later for you.
I appreciate it, Jeff! Thanks.

...nothing worse than diving into a DD weekend project and realizing you need to put everything you just took off back on because you didn't have all the parts to begin with!!

-Mike
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

also interested in doing this to my 08. figured lowered on 20s with 33s or a tad smaller would look cool and handle decent. with some sweet shocks i think itll be awesome.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:37 AM

I did some more searching and found the size of the Ubolts: 5/8" x 3-5/8" x ?? Long

The most accurate approach for length will be to measure the ones on my truck once I get it back from getting a bedliner sprayed in and tonneau cover installed.

At least it was brought to my attention that I needed new Ubolts before I started the project!

I'll probably just order from these guys:

Leaf Spring U-Bolts, www.ATSSPRINGS.com

Thanks.

-Mike
Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Jeff, it depends on what conditions you were looking for when assessing the death wobble. Mine rides fine 99% of the time but when taking a high speed turn that is slightly bumpy (we have an interstate turn here on a bridge with huge expansion joints) my front end gets a little sketchy. It pretty much goes straight and shudders hard. To alleviate this, I normally take some angle out of the turn by running wide and hitting the worst joints while driving straight.

I'd be interested to see how the truck looks lowered just a little bit on 20's. I drive into a few parking garages every now and then and if they say clearance is below 7 feet, I just get out and walk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.