truck sluggish with dpf on tune - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck sluggish with dpf on tune

I just bought an h & s minimaxx and was running the dpf on tune until i buy my delete pipe and intake. I reflashed to stock today and noticed with the dpf on tunes the truck seems very sluggish down low when low throttle percentage is applied as compared to stock. i can tell the power difference at wide open but i dont drive around wide open and everything else seems sluggish although i do notice the truck coming into boost much faster. Has anyone else had this issue or noticed this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
have you checked codes? just wait till you delete it lol, it will make you happy!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM

All codes clear, just seems like it holds gears for too long and doesnt take off as fast under light acceleration. My radiator is leaking and im fighting with ford and dealer to try and have them fix it as i just bought the truck and it has an esp plan on it. If not ill be replacing rad with an after market and throwing a 5 inch exhust and s and b intake on. I cant wait to drive it after delete
Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrstrokin6.4 View Post
All codes clear, just seems like it holds gears for too long and doesnt take off as fast under light acceleration. My radiator is leaking and im fighting with ford and dealer to try and have them fix it as i just bought the truck and it has an esp plan on it. If not ill be replacing rad with an after market and throwing a 5 inch exhust and s and b intake on. I cant wait to drive it after delete
hmm, im not sure then. hopefully someone will chime in with some help. i haven't ran dpf on tunes
Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 PM

I ran DPF on tunes for about 2 weeks and the truck felt light years faster than without a tuner. Not sure what it could be??
Old 11-29-2012, 04:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
What tranny tune are you running? That could be the issue with your truck holding gears longer. As for feeling sluggish, Im confussed, you say that your boost comes on alot faster, in my head that would mean the truck shouldnt feel sluggish. When you step on the gas, at what RPM does your turbo light and produce boost? Is your dpf partially clogged already? That would cause some sluggish feeling. What are your low boost fuel settings at? Your truck should run alot better with the tunes.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud2k View Post
What tranny tune are you running? That could be the issue with your truck holding gears longer. As for feeling sluggish, Im confussed, you say that your boost comes on alot faster, in my head that would mean the truck shouldnt feel sluggish. When you step on the gas, at what RPM does your turbo light and produce boost? Is your dpf partially clogged already? That would cause some sluggish feeling. What are your low boost fuel settings at? Your truck should run alot better with the tunes.

DPF on tunes do not let you adjust tranny settings nor does it allow you to change LBF settings.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code3F250 View Post
DPF on tunes do not let you adjust tranny settings nor does it allow you to change LBF settings.
Learn something new each day. I havent ran DPF on tunes in 3 years. I was thinking outloud. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:47 AM

No problem, had I not just switched from DPF on tunes 2 days ago I would have had no idea.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:03 AM
Hunter of Trolls

I'm new at this, but I'll offer this up:

I did the DPF/tune a few weeks ago, and installed 4" straight pipe..

before I even moved the truck, and while checking for exhaust leaks, I was astounded at the difference in exhaust flow.. that dpf must be hella restrictive.. it was BREATHING like I imagine a dang dragon would as opposed to being barely noticeable before..

i ran maybe two tanks through the truck before I did the delete, and saw two regens that lasted a couple seconds each- passive regens maybe? I dunno.. point being, my 44k truck likely was pretty clear in the DPF.. if your DPF is deep into it's service life, or is clogged with ash, you're choking that engine even more...

the tunes-
no matter how you slice it, the tunes produce more power, no? power in an internal combustion engine is only caused by one thing: more AIR moving THROUGH it.. if you're running 50hp more, you're pulling in and exhausting air that equates to that 50hp.. so, you are easily pulling more air INTO the engine to support that tune, but are you getting more OUT too? If you're not, you're not getting the extra power..

back pressure is a funny beast when it comes to back pressure due to physical obstructions in the exhaust.. you may have a barrier in your catalytic converter or DPF that flops about under low exhaust pressure, but when you amp up the RPM's, it has suitable power to move the obstruction.. as a driver, that will feel like you're dragging a parachute or anchor, and then it all of the sudden lets you loose..

based on what you've shared, this is what i'm wagering on..

just wait until you drop that trashcan setup... and free the exhaust.. good stuff.. no parachute or anchor..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.