Exhaust question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust question

I'm going to be ordered a few things tomorrow just looking for your opinion on 5" exhaust dp back. I know everyone recommends MBRP but what makes them better then say flo pro? Do they exit the truck same angle or is one better? Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 AM

I went with the flo pro because it was a bit cheaper. I also wasn't sure on the exit angle of the mbrp. A couple of guys on here pm'ed me how the angle is on the flo pro & I liked it. If I'm not mistaken the mbrp was the same angle but like I said I just wasn't positive on that.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Premium Member

FWIW, I recently installed a 4" MBRP turbo back straight pipe with 5" diameter straight-cut 12" long polished stainless steel tip after doing lots of reading on this forum. I was debating the 4" vs. the 5", and went for the 4" based on info I found here (i.e., negligible performance difference and deeper sound). It went on super easy and looks great! The exit length and angle are perfect. When I hit the throttle it really growls and roars! The sound level in the cab is just fine at both idle and at WOT. One suggestion: The 5" diameter tip looks like a small cannon even on my Dually with mud flaps--it's huge! I can't imagine what a 6" diameter tip would look like. Of course, looks/aesthetics is based on personal preference.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:21 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
All the exhaust kits fit pretty similar and you shouldn't have an issue. The main thing when buying exhaust is exit and material. Diamond eye exits more straight out the side where mbrp and flo pro exit more on an angle toward the bumper. Material would be aluminized vs stainless. Don't get stainless 409, it surface rusts right away where my aluminized kit still looks great after plowing. So get aluminized or stainless 304.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:26 AM

Who offers a 304 ss? I think MBRP is 409 for the 5", I will be plowing with it as well and being in MA I figured ss would be the way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
All the exhaust kits fit pretty similar and you shouldn't have an issue. The main thing when buying exhaust is exit and material. Diamond eye exits more straight out the side where mbrp and flo pro exit more on an angle toward the bumper. Material would be aluminized vs stainless. Don't get stainless 409, it surface rusts right away where my aluminized kit still looks great after plowing. So get aluminized or stainless 304.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:29 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I'm not sure if anyone makes the 5" ss304 now that I think about it. I think magnaflow that I have is but it's dpf back. I would waste my money on 409 but that's my 2 cents
Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
aluminum will be fine... i have yet to see anyone have problems with aluminum rusting through on any year truck...
Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 AM

The Flo Pro aluminized system is excellent and for a good price.

The stainless system is overkill and will turn a ugly tarnished bronze color over time from past experience.

Get a stainless tip. The Flo Pro exit angle is perfect IMHO!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:05 PM

I went with aluminum mbrp 4", and painted black w/ 5" tips.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
A good Al exhaust wont rust in the "life time" of the truck. My buddy bought my old truck with a 5" al exhaust at its still going stong and its been on the truck since 04. I have a flo pro 5" on my truck and it fit great and looks nice. 18" long 5-6" tip. 5" tips look small to me. Even my 6" looks small to me now, but a 7" looks goofy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.