Just bought a 08 F350 with a 6.4L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just bought a 08 F350 with a 6.4L

All,

I am seeking guidance and what has proven to be a good to great fit for this engine and tranny set up.
I believe everything is STOCK! 82000 miles
I know basic upgrade work, I had a 6.0 and did a lot of upgrades.

What are the good basic daily driver upgrades. I drive 100 to 300 miles daily for my work. So better MPGs are a must.

I have a SCT 3X tuner, was used on my old 04 F250 6.0. I hope I can reuse with this engine and tranny set up.

I know intake and exhaust upgrades are a must. What are your ideas on types best bang for my bucks?

Lilian and Eric, wrote me some great looney wild and preformance tunes for my 6.0. So yes a tune is coming after more research into head studs, bigger turbo and whatnot.

As always I enjoy learning and hearing everyones comments and suggestions!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 01:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

S&B cai. I would do a 5" straight pipe i regret only doing a four but it gets the job done just fine. And then i really like the mini max for the tuner. And if you dont let that foot be to heavy you should get decent mileage. :thumbup: congrats on the new pickup

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 11-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I also just got a 6.4 superduty, the first thing I did was remove the Cat and DPF, with the Mini maxx tunner and delete pipe. ( I have an extra one for sale ) I got the ones with bungs, No need for that, you will only need to use #1 pyro meeter, I have not done anything more than tunner , delete pipe. I did install a coolant pressure guage for piece of mind until I can remove the EGR if I ever do. and lastly a K&N air filter, this is my stage one to get the truck safe and out of harms way, I can tell you that I went from 12 mpg to 18 mpg and on the highway up to 21 mpg,

now that i have that out of the way, im taking my time and looking into full exhaust options from turbo back, intercooler options with pipes, and blow off valve options when i remove the EGR. im still new to all this so im trying to work out the details, Im also looking into adding Air dog and coolant filter, dont know if they are 100% needed but what could they hurt.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitCTSV View Post
I also just got a 6.4 superduty, the first thing I did was remove the Cat and DPF, with the Mini maxx tunner and delete pipe. ( I have an extra one for sale ) I got the ones with bungs, No need for that, you will only need to use #1 pyro meeter, I have not done anything more than tunner , delete pipe. I did install a coolant pressure guage for piece of mind until I can remove the EGR if I ever do. and lastly a K&N air filter, this is my stage one to get the truck safe and out of harms way, I can tell you that I went from 12 mpg to 18 mpg and on the highway up to 21 mpg,

now that i have that out of the way, im taking my time and looking into full exhaust options from turbo back, intercooler options with pipes, and blow off valve options when i remove the EGR. im still new to all this so im trying to work out the details, Im also looking into adding Air dog and coolant filter, dont know if they are 100% needed but what could they hurt.
You have a good start. You don need any bungs on the delete pipe with a spartan or H&S. also on mileage, don't base your mileage on the dash after ou tune. It's called the lie-o-meter for a reason. I have seen it read 36MPG before in my truck. I went from averaging 14.15 (with 60%hwy) to 15.84 with tuning.

Airdog and coolant filter are highly suggested. 5" exhaust if you are going to do more than just a delete pipe, intercooler a are nice but not necessary for a basic daily driver, there is a lot of debate about blow off valves but I think the conclusion right now is they are not needed...

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
You are on the right path. DPF delete/exhaust and tuner are a must. You can just do the delete on the stock exhaust, or you can do a full 4" or 5". All depends what you are going for. The SCT x3 you have already will not work on a 6.4 to my understanding. Good intakes are the S&B and the AFE intakes. Good tuners are Spartan and H&S for the most part. KEM tunes are also available for the H&S and Livewire platforms. Call around and see who you want to work with for tuning.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryAggie View Post
You have a good start. You don need any bungs on the delete pipe with a spartan or H&S. also on mileage, don't base your mileage on the dash after ou tune. It's called the lie-o-meter for a reason. I have seen it read 36MPG before in my truck. I went from averaging 14.15 (with 60%hwy) to 15.84 with tuning.

Airdog and coolant filter are highly suggested. 5" exhaust if you are going to do more than just a delete pipe, intercooler a are nice but not necessary for a basic daily driver, there is a lot of debate about blow off valves but I think the conclusion right now is they are not needed...

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
This^^. I also highly recommend an airdog and a coolant filter.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

Update, The SCT 3X will work, just had to update the software package and get software for the 6.4. Afew sidenotes.
I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado and we have diesel emmissions tests here so deleting anything that is inspectable / required in not an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.