CCV Mod write up with pics - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CCV Mod write up with pics

Well I'm still saving to get a programmer and do all the deletes but I was anxious to do a mod and start adding some long term reliability to my motor so I decided to do the CCV mod. I've read several threads on it and it looked pretty easy but I never saw exactly what I was looking for so I thought I'd see what I could come up with. I wasn't crazy about the idea about running a 1" hose across the engine bay, just seemed cluttered to me. I prefer a clean factory look, something that blends in. Let me know what you think.

First, I started by removing the factory CCV to get it out of the way. To plug the hole in the intake hose I used a 1" expansion plug, I borrowed this idea from a fellow member. Here is a pic of the plug I used.

Here it is installed.

Next it was time to figure out how to route the vent hose down and out. I have seen a few pictures of guys who used 1" hose and just did a u-turn and ran it down the passenger wheel well and I liked it going out the passenger side but the hard bend often kinked the hose and I didn't want to risk not having good flow. So I decided to improvise.

I removed the hose used to evacuate under cab heat and route it into air filter housing. I plan on putting on a cold air intake when I do a programmer and exhaust so I don't plan on reusing this anyways.

Here it is to show what I'm referring to:

I decided this would work great because it already has a preformed bend in it. So I started doing some test fitting and found out it would work pretty well with the short side of the bend connecting to the outlet for the CCV and the u-turn would point the long side right down the fender well.

In order to make it fit nicely I had to cut a short section off the short side of the bend and make a notch in it like the factory hose.

Here is a couple pics to show it.

I also cut a short section off the long side of the hose that has the flared end that holds the plastic scoop. I'll reuse these pieces later.

So now I have the initial re-route of the vent hose but it needs some length added to it. To do that I just used a pvc connector used to splice hoses and I got 10 feet of 1" rubber hose from my local farm supply store and a couple hose clamps. Then I just started to rout the hose down the fender well. That was a pretty tight fit so it took a little time.

Here are the parts I had.

Once I had the hose routed I hooked up the original hose I had modified and started working it into place.

With a little pushing an pulling I got everything in place and put the hose clamp on the outlet for the CCV. Here are the finished pics.

As far as the rest of the hose, I just ran it down the fender well and then ran it down the outside of the frame rail, the 10 feet got me just shy of the back of the cab. And the flared piece of the hose I cut off, I put the plastic scoop back in it and used another pvc connector to splice it to the end of the hose so it made a nice turn down just at the back of the cab.

I will say you can smell it outside of the truck but it isn't overwhelming by any means, and you can use as much or as little hose as you want to as close or as far away from you as you want. To me it is well worth it to not have the oily air going back into the intake.

Hopefully this helps anyone considering doing this mod. Enjoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

nice write up. I think that hose with the scoop in it is to actually draw warm air from the turbo to the intake in colder climates.....just going off what I heard
Old 11-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
nice write up. I think that hose with the scoop in it is to actually draw warm air from the turbo to the intake in colder climates.....just going off what I heard
Thanks man. Yeah that makes sense about taking in warm air. Guess that didn't cross my mind since we average 30-40 degrees during our winters here in Arkansas so my truck probly won't miss it
Old 11-07-2012, 05:25 PM

You may need to keep an eye on which CAI you get, as mine required reusing that bent piece.

Although, that appeared to work really well for you. Another option would be to use hose spring. Insert it into the hose and then bend it to the shape you need. The spring prevents the hose from kinking or collapsing.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide app.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotrs View Post
You may need to keep an eye on which CAI you get, as mine required reusing that bent piece.

Although, that appeared to work really well for you. Another option would be to use hose spring. Insert it into the hose and then bend it to the shape you need. The spring prevents the hose from kinking or collapsing.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide app.
That's a good idea on the hose spring. I've never seen one so I didn't know about that.

As far as the CAI, I think I want to go with the No Limit Fabrication intake so I won't have to worry about that hose. If I don't get that one I'll probably just go with the S&B which does have the spot for the hose but I probably still wouldn't run it. Not a big issue where I am with needing to draw in warm air.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 PM

I like that expansion plug. I would check the nut every now and then and make sure it's tight. Hate for it to get loose and fall in. I just went with a chair tip. Not pretty but effective.

I also used that hose connector.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Premium Member

this is how i did mine w/ my S&B intake just some dishwasher hose, pvc fitting, and a rubber compression fitting and some zip ties.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:41 PM

Dumb question, but is the hose just left open on the end? I'm referring to the hose hooked to the oil fill
Old 11-08-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCfarmboy View Post
Dumb question, but is the hose just left open on the end? I'm referring to the hose hooked to the oil fill
Most people seem to be leaving it open ended. Some people have either bought or made their own catch can system as well. I also went the open ended route.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCfarmboy View Post
Got mine open ended

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.