EGR Delete questions. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Delete questions.

I just did alot of work on my 08 6.4l. I ran a H&S XRT Pro, with a full 4" turbo back exhaust with a dpf and cat delete running into a 5" tip with a AFE stage 2 intake. I want to put in a sinister EGR delete with a high flow intake elbow.

When I do this can I remove the two coolers to shave some weight and space in the motor? or should I just leave the coolers in. Also what advantages does an EGR delete have aside from not using the coolers?

Thanks,
-David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcComb View Post
I just did alot of work on my 08 6.4l. I ran a H&S XRT Pro, with a full 4" turbo back exhaust with a dpf and cat delete running into a 5" tip with a AFE stage 2 intake. I want to put in a sinister EGR delete with a high flow intake elbow.

When I do this can I remove the two coolers to shave some weight and space in the motor? or should I just leave the coolers in. Also what advantages does an EGR delete have aside from not using the coolers?

Thanks,
-David
You can remove the coolers and if you purchase a kit with the elbow then you can remove the bulky stock elbow and install the smaller, more smooth flowing aftermarket elbow. Another benefit aside from coolant not flowing through the coolers is no more hot, sooty exhaust gasses going back into your intake manifold.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Perfect that what I like to hear. is removing the EGR cooler hard? I would lke to do the EGR delete, elbow, and cooler removal myself. I know they are pretty bulky so im guessing this means cab removal?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcComb View Post
Perfect that what I like to hear. is removing the EGR cooler hard? I would lke to do the EGR delete, elbow, and cooler removal myself. I know they are pretty bulky so im guessing this means cab removal?
No cab removal, just patience. Times vary from 4 hours for guys who don't deal with seized bolts and other little issues to other guys who say 8 hours. I guess if a person plans on a day then you would be safe. Kind of alot of time if it takes 8 hours but definitely worth it in the end.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:27 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would plan on a day also. I think it ended up taking me close to 8. I had some issues with bolts and clearance getting the horizontal out, but it wasn't terrible. I would suggest trying to bribe a friend or 2 to help.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Having a second set of hands when removing the coolers is key. It goes alot quicker with one person pushing and the other pulling. it isnt hard and It can be done with simple hand tools just takes a little patience. Like was said plan for a day.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Premium Member

have a helper just to keep your sanity. also i would start by taking off the drivers wheel and inner wheel well liner to remove the lower part first and see if the lower part bolts are seized. have plenty of small ratchets and those ratchets they make with screw driver handles would work really nice on some. make sure to lube the O rings on the plugs so they will slide in easy and seat properly.
search for this and there is a nice write up on the install. it helped me out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.