New Mini Max owner questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Mini Max owner questions

I posted the following in the General Discussion, but so far have not gotten much of a response so I am reposting my questions here:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just added a Mini Max, 4" DP back straight pipe, and a S&B CAI. I ran the "Mild" tune at the Hot (250 HP) setting, and WOW! What a difference. My 21 year old son was pretty impressed as well. I have a few questions about the settings though since in a couple of weeks I will be hooking up to the 5er and heading south.
1. What tune seems to provide the best fuel milage when towing? Also what power level do you use within the tune?

2. Where do you set the Low Boost Fueling Adjustment? It is currently on the default setting of 2. I do get the puff of black smoke when taking off. I could move it down to 1 or 0 to get less smoke, but what is the impact on every thing else? Do you loose power, or gain milage when going to a lower Low Boost Fueling adjustment?

3. Is there a better shift schedule to use for towing the 5er? Currently it is set on schedule 1 which locks up the converter in 4th and 5th in normal driving.

4. Do I still use the tow button on the truck when towing?

I love the increased power, no doubt about it. However with the upcoming trip I am most focused on getting the best mileage towing the 5er. I have 3.73 gears and loaded the 5er will be around 12,500 to 13,500 lbs.ions here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

When towing i use the no power setting i left the low boost setting alone. I averaged 10.5 to 11 mpgs that was with a 35' toy hauler. And i used the tow haul button and used the tc lock up in 4th and fifth also. And everything went well! At least i was happy after a 900 mile trip!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-15-2012, 05:09 PM

RDUB, I'm jealous you have yours done. So big difference in power??? Did you do the system yourself? I'm about a month away from making the plunge. Congratulations.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUB View Post
I posted the following in the General Discussion, but so far have not gotten much of a response so I am reposting my questions here:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just added a Mini Max, 4" DP back straight pipe, and a S&B CAI. I ran the "Mild" tune at the Hot (250 HP) setting, and WOW! What a difference. My 21 year old son was pretty impressed as well. I have a few questions about the settings though since in a couple of weeks I will be hooking up to the 5er and heading south.
1. What tune seems to provide the best fuel milage when towing? Also what power level do you use within the tune?

No Power or Low Power watch the EGT's and keep them below 1200/1250degrees

2. Where do you set the Low Boost Fueling Adjustment? It is currently on the default setting of 2. I do get the puff of black smoke when taking off. I could move it down to 1 or 0 to get less smoke, but what is the impact on every thing else? Do you loose power, or gain milage when going to a lower Low Boost Fueling adjustment?

Low boost fueling is just that controls low boost fuel , what rpm do you run normally is it is in the range of 1500 to 1700 you are in low boost.

3. Is there a better shift schedule to use for towing the 5er? Currently it is set on schedule 1 which locks up the converter in 4th and 5th in normal driving.

MCC tuning is availabel many folks including myself are playing with it to try to achieve the best trans tune based on Torque and power demands take s some trial and error but can be done.

4. Do I still use the tow button on the truck when towing?

Tow Haul changes the shift schedule and line pressures to help control clutch slipping thus Heat build up. Heat kills Automatic slush boxes.

I love the increased power, no doubt about it. However with the upcoming trip I am most focused on getting the best mileage towing the 5er. I have 3.73 gears and loaded the 5er will be around 12,500 to 13,500 lbs.ions here.
Best Mileage..... Drive it like an ole lady. Slow on the power slow off. Try to pick a speed that the truck runs efficently at with the weight. my 450 is around 1800 to 2100 rpm for long runs.

Smooth throttle control will also help.

End of the day your truck and 5er are a streamline coke machine with all the areodymanic properties of a Hay barn. Wind, road surface and tire choice will all have an effect on your mileage. You are not going to see 12-15 mpg, maybe closer to 9-10 on long runs, much less if you have a heavy foot.

Change the trans fluid and filter this will also help some.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:23 AM

I tow often, I usually tow on the no power setting in the hot damn tunes. I pull about 17,000#s all over North Mississippi fairly regular and usually average 9 mpg on the interstate running 70mph. I tried the tow haul on and off and I thought it pulled better with it off. The higher you leave the tune generally the hotter it will run, just watch your temps, even on the low tunes.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. This was a satisfying job to do and the results are nothing short of fantastic, but I have to admit it is more than a few hours for me. At 62 I don't get around on the cement floor of the garage quite like I used to. lol. Everyone seems to be saying keep an eye on the EGTs. I left the defuel setting at the default of 1450. Should I be moving that down for towing? I will be crossing the Smokey Mountains on the way to Florida, and there are some long grades.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 AM

I just thought of another question. If EGTs are at too high of a level, do you just back off on the throtle and go as slow as you need to in order to keep them below 1200?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply guys. This was a satisfying job to do and the results are nothing short of fantastic, but I have to admit it is more than a few hours for me. At 62 I don't get around on the cement floor of the garage quite like I used to. lol. Everyone seems to be saying keep an eye on the EGTs. I left the defuel setting at the default of 1450. Should I be moving that down for towing? I will be crossing the Smokey Mountains on the way to Florida, and there are some long grades.
I run my egt defuel at 1300 which is pretty conservative. If I were you I would at least back it down to the same and try it. I doubt you will get up to 1300 anyways unless you are lugging the transmission going up the hills.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I just thought of another question. If EGTs are at too high of a level, do you just back off on the throtle and go as slow as you need to in order to keep them below 1200?
Yeah you can just back off the throttle to get the egt's down. Typically the lugging will be the culprit for the egt's getting really really fast. Just get the truck to downshift and get the revs up and you should be fine. It just takes a little playing with until you get a feel for how the temps are going to be under the different conditions you will encounter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.