egr cooler upgrade vs delete w wastegate? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 05:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question egr cooler upgrade vs delete w wastegate?

I've searched the forums and haven't found an answer. I also don't know if there is one but personal preference. Please chime in.

I'm looking to start bullet proofing my engine. I think the first step is to deal with the egr problems, then look at head studs. I don't drive the truck hard as I'm afraid of the consequence(once in a blue moon but no more than 50% throttle), but am interested to get into some local truck pulls down the road once I have the engine more "protected". Here's my understanding/questions about egr upgrades.....

Is the egr delete the same as the block off kit(I assume the only difference is the physical removal of the coolers)? If I install a delete I'm concerned about back pressure which leads me to installing the wastegate kit at the same time. Should I be concerned about back pressure if I upgrade the head studs and skip the installation of a waste gate?

Or

Do I install the bulletproof cooler upgrade and let everything function as it is supposed to without worrying about leaky coolers. I'm wondering if this option is a waste of time as the spartan tunes (275 and up) don't cycle the egr anyway. However, I have read that even with the egr delete tunes (with egr still present) that the egr system will still give relief to the backpressure from the turbos.

So confused....... Please help me decide, and others that are wondering the same thing. The cost doesn't seem to be a factor as the egr/wastegate is about the same cost as the cooler upgrade give or take $200.

Awesome site. Keep it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Blockoff different from delete. Egrs holds coolant. Can crack and leak. Coolant runs 1-2* cooler without egrs.

I think a bulletproof egr is personal preference and also your local and state emissions can dictate your desicion.

I'm kinda addressing this now. Dunno if I want to do wastegate. I'm gonna do more WOT runs to see the backpressure numbers.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:19 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Good questions. I'm also tryin to figure out my egr delete and want to just install the plates for warranty purpose, I just want to keep the soot out of the intake for now but worried about back pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Old 10-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't think I'm worried about warranty. I'm more worried about the truck making it through warranty, then having problems. My theory is to protect it now so I don't weaken it for the future.

Mostly concerned about back pressure and preventing HG failure before I want to afford it (let alone explain to the wife spending $5000 to make my engine more durable).

I think i'm leaning toward EGR block off with ccv tube and wastegate. Have people with this set up still blown Head Gaskets? Are the head gaskets more protected with this set up?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:56 PM

well my egrs are deleted. there is a fair amount of backpressure but not detrimental even with wot runs every so often.

you can do studs one at a time which cut costs in half. labor should be around 1k cab off. add parts cost and you should be under 2k for a safely operating engine. add another 1k for a wastegate.

tell your sweet honey that your truck will go 200k miles easy with these upgrades and save you on cost of repair, reliability and even another car note.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bullet proof, coolers, egr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.