Thoughts on 6.4 programmers and other goodies - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thoughts on 6.4 programmers and other goodies

Hello everyone, just joined the site after looking around for a while. 10 months ago I picked up My very first diesel. I have owned 4 other ford pickups over the last 30 years.

Anyway I fell in love with this used 2010 F350 4X4 crew cab 8' bed in platinum white. it had 19000 miles on it and I feel I got a nice deal on it. over the last 10 months I have put over 30000 miles on it. most are hwy miles back and forth to Our place up in Cherry Valley Mi.

two weeks ago I replace the stock tires with a set of 352/65/18 A/T's. I was getting around 15-17 mpgs on the hwy if I keep it under 70. now with the new tires I have dropped to 10-12. I knew the mpg would suffer as the tires are heaver.

So know I am looking into picking up the Edge Evolution 15004 Programmer. after alot of research and such on programmers. it fits right in my price point and I love the features it has. big plus is where it mounts and the fact that I can reset the tire size. + its plug and play. anyone used them? any input would be great. I also plan to cut the muffler out and run straight pipe in its place. it does have an AFE air filter installed also.

I will be leaving the DPF alone as this truck gets checked every two years by the Il. EPA

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Don't you worry about it

I would not get an edge. If you insist on keeping the DPF I would run H&S DPF on tunes. There is no point in removing the muffler because you will see no difference.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
I would not get an edge. If you insist on keeping the DPF I would run H&S DPF on tunes. There is no point in removing the muffler because you will see no difference.
removing the muffler will make no difference in the sound of the truck? I have also read that it is restrictive. $900 for a h&s is not even an option? and why not the edge?

Last edited by Trackstand; 10-11-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Banned

to be extremely nice about it, buying that edge would be about as smart as punching a police officer in the balls haha. point being you can do it and gey away with it for a little while but then its going to come back to get you. meaning simply that your tranny is going to hate you and commit suicide. so just buy the h&s xrt pro and save your truck. Just think about it this way, is 900 dollars really that much money compared to the 40K+ that you spent on the truck? that edge will result in a 5-15K dollar repair bill.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Don't you worry about it

I would suggest a mini maxx so you will have some gauges. Would you buy a Rolls Royce and put walmart brand oil in it.... I would hope not. Don't cheap out on this truck. Secondly, no it will not change the sound and 100% of the sound killing and restriction is from the doc/dpf.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by levan4076 View Post
to be extremely nice about it, buying that edge would be about as smart as punching a police officer in the balls haha. point being you can do it and gey away with it for a little while but then its going to come back to get you. meaning simply that your tranny is going to hate you and commit suicide. so just buy the h&s xrt pro and save your truck. Just think about it this way, is 900 dollars really that much money compared to the 40K+ that you spent on the truck? that edge will result in a 5-15K dollar repair bill.
Its a work truck and daily driver. it sits on My driveway weighing in at 10000#s. I dont plan on drag racing the truck. just better mileage and adjust the tire size!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Banned

hey buddy its your truck do as you see fit, but we warned you. and you can adjust the tire size with H&S, a dpf on tune of any brand won't make it a drag truck by any means, but if you had the forty grand to drop on the truck then you sure as hell oughta have 900 dollars sitting somewhere, but if your heart is set on the edge get it. but before you buy look up edge tuning problems on here, that might open your eyes up since we obivously can't
Old 10-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by levan4076 View Post
hey buddy its your truck do as you see fit, but we warned you. and you can adjust the tire size with H&S, a dpf on tune of any brand won't make it a drag truck by any means, but if you had the forty grand to drop on the truck then you sure as hell oughta have 900 dollars sitting somewhere, but if your heart is set on the edge get it. but before you buy look up edge tuning problems on here, that might open your eyes up since we obivously can't
Not trying to be azz, just want the facts. that why I am here and reading up on all this stuff. 95% of the reviews on the edge are all good. believe it or not one can over spend on a product.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Banned

trust me i completely understand overspending, but i don't get how you got 95% positive reviews?! seeing as three quarters of all people who use edge have a problem somehow. wether it be the tuner taking a crap, ruining there tranny or anything else that can and will go wrong because they used edge and not a trusted tuner. because edge is only ecm tunes, meaning they only tune the engine, not the transmission. where as all other tuners tune the tranny or tcm also, making the transmission learn how to handle the new power, even if it is only a 50hp dpf on tune
Old 10-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Don't you worry about it

just go ahead and get the edge... good luck. Let me dumb this down for you. The DPF is there to collect soot from the exhaust. On a stock truck there may not be much soot. When you start adding hp the smoke increases therefor the soot increases which leads to the DPF getting filled more quickly. If the DPF gets full quicker that means more regens, more regens means more fuel in oil, more fuel in oil means no good engine. I wouldn't run a DPF on tune on my truck. If I wasn't going to delete the DPF I would by a truck that didn't have one.
Open your mouth and blow all the air out of your lungs, then go put your hand over your mouth and try to blow the air out... thats like a DPF for your lungs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.