4.5in lift Icon or Carli questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4.5in lift Icon or Carli questions

I am looking at two different lifts and I want some opinions and a few answers. It is between an Icon 4.5in stage 3 and a Carli coilover setup. The Icon I heard is good but for a bit extra I get coilovers and a new set of rear leafs. One question is I want PMF traction bars but if i get new rear leafs which size block do I need to get to fit traction bars. I emailed Carli but still no response. Opinions on the setups please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008SleeperStroker View Post
I am looking at two different lifts and I want some opinions and a few answers. It is between an Icon 4.5in stage 3 and a Carli coilover setup. The Icon I heard is good but for a bit extra I get coilovers and a new set of rear leafs. One question is I want PMF traction bars but if i get new rear leafs which size block do I need to get to fit traction bars. I emailed Carli but still no response. Opinions on the setups please.
what size leafs you getting? if 4.5 lift your either going no block or stock spring height correct? maybe ask PMF, I bet they deal with that all day long and prob have better anwsers than Carli,lol
Old 09-20-2012, 10:00 AM

PMF can also put together a complete lift for you. That's what I've got, using Icon springs and shocks.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Also went with PMF, using icon springs and bilstein 5160 shocks. Many different upgrades avaliable as well through him.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
I woudl suggest the Carli Pintop 2.5 kit over the coilover setup. It actually has more travel and rides about the same. The advantage to the coilover kit is it allows you to add a second bypass shock (very expensive and not needed for 95% of the guys out there). If your plans are to upgrade to the full Carli rear leafs I would run it without any traction aids at first to see if you even need to add traction bars. Since their leaf pack does a better job of controlling axle wrap and eliminates the factory block altogether, the wheel hop is greatly dimished if not eliminated. I still run my factory leafs with Carli mini packs and F350 blocks and while I still have some axle wrap the wheelhop is pretty much gone and the shifting feel is a ton better. That is when running the H&S Hot tunes.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Tough call. Both are of the highest quality components, you cant make a bad decision either way. We have not done the Carli Coilovers here at the shop, but we have done that same kit with the Bilstein 7100's and it rode/handled very well. The ICON setup, however, seems to ride a bit softer than Carli. Im not saying thats better or worse, just an observation we made here at the shop.

As far as the rear goes, how much do you tow? If you tow often and pretty heavy, I would leave the factory springs in the rear. The bars may not be necessary unless you plan on running higher HP.

Feel free to give us a holler, we sell/install both Carli and ICON kits. If you plan on installing it yourself we can also help walk you through any problems you may have.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:13 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What about pro comp? Are they any good?

2008 F-350 CCLB all stock for now... Deleting and tuning with Vivian's looney street soon.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:13 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oops sorry wrong thread I had a lift thread too. But I guess question stands lol

2008 F-350 CCLB all stock for now... Deleting and tuning with Vivian's looney street soon.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Not when compared to ICON and Carli.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRBD View Post
Tough call. Both are of the highest quality components, you cant make a bad decision either way. We have not done the Carli Coilovers here at the shop, but we have done that same kit with the Bilstein 7100's and it rode/handled very well. The ICON setup, however, seems to ride a bit softer than Carli. Im not saying thats better or worse, just an observation we made here at the shop.

As far as the rear goes, how much do you tow? If you tow often and pretty heavy, I would leave the factory springs in the rear. The bars may not be necessary unless you plan on running higher HP.

Feel free to give us a holler, we sell/install both Carli and ICON kits. If you plan on installing it yourself we can also help walk you through any problems you may have.
Interesting observation... We just had a customer bring his ICON 4.5" Stage 5 lift in after 20 days to swap for a Carli pintop as the ride was too stiff for him. If it was softer it very well could've been the 4-Link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.