How do I improve 6.4 reliability - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do I improve 6.4 reliability

Ok guys I need help I have a 6.0 and I'm pretty familiar with its short comings however I'm clueless with the 6.4. The thing is im in control of maintenance on an EMS service out side of San Antonio, we have a fleet of 4 6.4 ranging from 2008 to 2011 and we can not keep them on the road 3 of the 4 have new motors along with multiple other issue. The good thing is most of the work has been warranty work so it's been minimal for actual cost of repair however they are quickly moving to that 100,000 mile mark. If they keep going like they are they will kill us. My question is what upgrades can I do to make them more reliable/durable. Such as I know the 6.0 with the egr delete, ford gold coolant is bad, head gaskets are faulty ect ect. Pretty much our small life saving business needs help!!!!!

Thank you for any info you can provide
Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Delete ALL emissions dpf,egr, CCV mod. Follow severe maintainence schedule. Ford gold coolant is only bad if you don't monitor it. I've had it in my 6.0 and 6.4 I flush it lots and monitor it lots never had oil cooler problem my deltas are 4 degrees
Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
Delete ALL emissions dpf,egr, CCV mod. Follow severe maintainence schedule. Ford gold coolant is only bad if you don't monitor it. I've had it in my 6.0 and 6.4 I flush it lots and monitor it lots never had oil cooler problem my deltas are 4 degrees
Agreed the emissions is a killer! The DPF in your situation is probably not an option. I would just take into consideration that jack rabbit starts and sudden burst of acceleration will not help with keeping the DPF out of regen. Another thing is that you must put good fuel in these trucks there is a required minimum cetane rating that must be used or else you run into problems. Regular maintenance is crucial oil filters every 5000 and fuel filters every 15000 to 25000.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 PM

Your right about the fuel I add power service diesel kleen to EVERY tank. Also I wouldn't go 25000 on fuel filter. I've never gone over 10k miles. I know that's extreme but I've read and saw enough horror stories about 13g out of pocket repairs that it was enough to scare me. I thought with ambulances and vehicles like that you could get away with not running dpf. Don't quote me on that but I have heard it mentioned
Old 09-19-2012, 04:46 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you do have the DPF idling is terrible on the motor too. Clogs up the DPF and you will never go into regen to clean it while idling.

Sent from a phone smarter than me.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvjlt View Post
Ok guys I need help I have a 6.0 and I'm pretty familiar with its short comings however I'm clueless with the 6.4. The thing is im in control of maintenance on an EMS service out side of San Antonio, we have a fleet of 4 6.4 ranging from 2008 to 2011 and we can not keep them on the road 3 of the 4 have new motors along with multiple other issue. The good thing is most of the work has been warranty work so it's been minimal for actual cost of repair however they are quickly moving to that 100,000 mile mark. If they keep going like they are they will kill us. My question is what upgrades can I do to make them more reliable/durable. Such as I know the 6.0 with the egr delete, ford gold coolant is bad, head gaskets are faulty ect ect. Pretty much our small life saving business needs help!!!!!

Thank you for any info you can provide
Jason
What is going wrong with your engines?

Cold starts and hard throttle on a cold engine is hard on everything. Not letting them cool down is hard on turbos.

One thing I would suggest is plug them in Block heater yes even in the summer this brings the block temp up and helps withthe cold start and running.

Deletes will help with longevity DPF/DOC/EGR, intake mainfold to even air flow.

By-pass oil filter and Coolant filter will help also.

Runnign hard on a cold engine is yoru biggest issue but least controllable.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:57 AM

Emergancy vehicle do not get an emmission inspection, delete the emission stuff DOC/DPF/EGR. this will help control heat. A tuner is needed, run at stock or no power to keep things health for a long time.

You might want to schedule you maintenance a bit sooner as well,

5k miles to an oil change
10K on fuel could be inline with the oil change ( every 5K)
Transmissions fluid and filter 30K could be moved to 20K

Air filters each oil change

Fast Idle mod might be in the cards as well to keep from cold stacking (I don't think this is some much an issue with new electronic engines)
Old 09-19-2012, 05:59 AM

as said deletes are your friend, and I actually saw Nate from PTP post that they have sold mini max with multiple liscenses for fleets so you can tune all of them with just 1 programmer, I would call them up.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

10k wow well i guess no fuel or lack of could really hurt. I do them every 15k? Are the filters just crap or what?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 PM

The frame minted filter isn't the best design but 10k filter change is a good idea considering the cost of the fuel system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
help wanted, problems, reliability

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.