Few 6.4L Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Few 6.4L Questions

Okay, so I'm in the market for a 6.4L, and I have already started compiling parts. So far I have a H&S Black Maxx, MBRP CAC Tube, Flo Pro Elbow, MBRP Duals, new style S&B Intake...

First question, I've been looking at EGR deletes. Will the addition of a wastegate prevent the need for head studs? From what I understand, the wastegate will release the high pressures that lift the heads. Am I wrong here? Who makes a nice kit that can be easily installed with no welding? I'm looking for an easy install and something easy on the wallet.

Secondly, I see the new S&B Intake has a new air inlet. Is there a scoop that goes along with this, like on the new AFE Stage 2 Si Intake?

Third, what can be done to prolong the life of the transmission? Direct Drive Solenoid?

Fourth, who makes a good cheap set of traction bars for a stock or slightly lifted truck? I hear this can help out the transmission a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 03:31 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
Okay, so I'm in the market for a 6.4L, and I have already started compiling parts. So far I have a H&S Black Maxx, MBRP CAC Tube, Flo Pro Elbow, MBRP Duals, new style S&B Intake...

First question, I've been looking at EGR deletes. Will the addition of a wastegate prevent the need for head studs? From what I understand, the wastegate will release the high pressures that lift the heads. Am I wrong here? Who makes a nice kit that can be easily installed with no welding? I'm looking for an easy install and something easy on the wallet.

Secondly, I see the new S&B Intake has a new air inlet. Is there a scoop that goes along with this, like on the new AFE Stage 2 Si Intake?

Third, what can be done to prolong the life of the transmission? Direct Drive Solenoid?

Fourth, who makes a good cheap set of traction bars for a stock or slightly lifted truck? I hear this can help out the transmission a lot.
Welcome to the 6.4 world!

First off I'm going to preface this with the fact that I don't have first hand knowledge with some of your questions (as you look to be taking everything a half step further than I have). Second looks like you are off to a healthy mod happy start!

Ok EGR delete. I've heard they aren't necessary, but in theory they sound like they would help prevent high BP. However I think they are usually attached to the up pipes (which I believe requires cab off to install, so why not just stud it then anyhow?).

I believe there is a drop down scoop for the S&B but since I travel off road and sometimes thru water, I decided not to use it.

Can't help on the tranny other than to say be aware of the relationship between your right foot and the skinny pedal...

And as far as traction bars, I'm interested in this question also.

Sent from a phone smarter than me.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1. A wastegate relieves back pressure, which isn't the direct cause of head gasket failure. It can contribute to it though. I say just do the EGR cooler delete and when the time comes, do studs and new gaskets.

2. Not sure.

3. Proper maintenance and driving like you're supposed to drive. I know, that can be hard to do with 500+ horsepower on tap.

4. Don't go cheap with traction bars. Trust me. I've been there and done that. I suggest going with PMF's new single bar design. Your driveline will appreciate you. Traction bars can actually be added to answer #3 as well.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

an egr delete helps lower egts and remove the threat of cracking egr coolers which cause a hydrolocked engine. Most kits are quite similar. My favorite is the Flo-Pro kit with intake elbow. It cleans up the engine bay and removes all the egr componentry. There is no welding involved. A waste gate with VGT turbos is not as effective as many ppl think and it is only a small factor in relation to head gaskets blowing. EGR delete is a VERY good idea. You would be smart to stud it as well. i drive the absolute piss out of my truck and have blown head gaskets and transmission. Those trannies are quite strong and will hold a ton of power. the main thing is to use the Schedule 1 shift patterns that lock the TC in 4th gear. Pro Comp makes a cheap trac bar kit that works well. At the end of the day it all comes down to your right foot. As always "you pay to play!"
Old 09-18-2012, 04:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Pro Comp bars are the exact reason I say don't go the cheap route.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

what was your experience with them? im curious
Old 09-18-2012, 05:46 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Blake didnt you buy a 6.4 already?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Blake didnt you buy a 6.4 already?
Had a deposit on one, and when I went to pick it up it was trashed... Lots of dishonesty and false advertising. I'm still supposed to pick up the black truck this weekend, but who knows....
Old 09-18-2012, 05:51 AM
Premium Member

Okay, I'll probably just stick with the cheap EGR delete for now. I'm looking into PMF's new bars...

I'm gonna see if I can get a Ford ESP on my truck somehow. The one I'm looking at has 102k miles, but maybe I can still purchase one somehow...
Old 09-18-2012, 06:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Blake not to derail your thread but if I plan on lifting it in the future like 8 inches would I need to do traction bars now or just wait till I lift it.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.