DPF delete and tuner/chip? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DPF delete and tuner/chip?

Hey guys im looking for some help picking out a dpf delete and whether I should do chip or tuner. Its for my dads 08 dually towing a tractor and trailer (16,000 lbs). I am going to do gauges for him because I know egts will b a problem on long hills. Should I do an intake as well? What will keep egts lower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 07:42 PM

Get the H&S MiniMaxx so he can change tunes on the fly when he is not hauling a load it will also show 4 gauges on the screen at once. I have mine setup for EGT, Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Coolant Temp. They sell a mount (color match is 45 days out right now I think) or BlendMount makes a nice under mirror mount that is firm which I think I might switch too myself. More guys will be able to help with trans settings once you get it. Also can't do your DPF delete without some sort of tuner so its not optional at that point.

Intake will definitely help, if there is no emissions in your area get a nice exhaust that goes 4" all the way back and no cat/dpf. since he is hauling he will probably want a muffler on it. A lot of the towing members are recommended the downpipe to help drop EGT's while hauling, as well as a 3" CAC pipe for the intercooler (if you've popped the hood you've probably seen that junk). You can take it to the next step and do full intercooler as well as water/meth as well if you wanted
Old 09-16-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGo'N'Show View Post
Get the H&S MiniMaxx so he can change tunes on the fly when he is not hauling a load it will also show 4 gauges on the screen at once. I have mine setup for EGT, Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Coolant Temp. They sell a mount (color match is 45 days out right now I think) or BlendMount makes a nice under mirror mount that is firm which I think I might switch too myself. More guys will be able to help with trans settings once you get it. Also can't do your DPF delete without some sort of tuner so its not optional at that point.

Intake will definitely help, if there is no emissions in your area get a nice exhaust that goes 4" all the way back and no cat/dpf. since he is hauling he will probably want a muffler on it. A lot of the towing members are recommended the downpipe to help drop EGT's while hauling, as well as a 3" CAC pipe for the intercooler (if you've popped the hood you've probably seen that junk). You can take it to the next step and do full intercooler as well as water/meth as well if you wanted
Yeah he wants to keep it pretty stock and not spend too much money. How does the tuner work with a manual? No complaints on here? Also I still would have to get thermalcouples and all probes for the gauge?
Old 09-17-2012, 03:29 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
AllGo'N'Show pretty much has it set. Get a tuner, intake, and exhaust. (that will run probably about $1200, look in the classifieds section here if you can deal with used and want to go a little cheaper). I would also suggest an EGR delete if you can. I didn't pay a ton of attention to EGTs before my intercooler, and I did the intake, exhaust, and CAC pipe at the same time so I can't tell you how much the CAC pipe dropped EGTs. But the DP dropped it a 10-50, intercooler dropped it 100-150, wrapping the DP and turbo socks dropped another 10-50.

Sent from a phone smarter than me.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:11 AM

h&s has problems w/ cruise control on the manual equipped trucks
Old 09-17-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
He never uses cruise control so I don't think it will b a problem
Old 09-17-2012, 04:48 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
Really? First I had heard of this.. im still on the edge of the fence between spartan and h&s.. I like the idea of shift on the fly by cruise control issues might be a deciding factor. I haven't heard alot of reviews for manual owners.. I'd like to know how they compare between the two for Manual Transmissions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.