SCT Livewire ECU Lock out - Page 4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 06:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
You have a communication problem... Either a dead module or bad connection/harness

trying to reprogram the truck could do more harm than good at this point IMO
what do you think i should do. i have been working with a ford mechanic trying to figure out what it could be and no luck

Last edited by travisH3; 11-13-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 06:56 AM

went and plugged batteries in, cleared the code and unplugged the tuner. truck starts and runs fine without the code popping up. called H&S they are saying to send everything in to them to check. but im gonna have to pay for the work (i bought it used but it has worked great for 3/4 of a year.

the ford tech just called me. h&s requires you to tap into a wire under the dash for a 12v switched source to turn the tuner on and off. he is sayign the ECU thinks there is a short to the power in the can bus circuit while the key is off and is shutting power down trying to protect itself. if everyone else running an h&s is running off this same purple wire why is it only my truck throwing it???? another thing is the installer that hooked up my strobe lights is ran off this same 12v switched source.

******EDIT: Unplugged the switched 12v source that he said was causing it to think it had a short and plugged the tuner back in. threw the code again so now i got batteries unplugged resetting it again. so back to square one, still not solved. hopefully i can get it running again. i dont want to send my tuner in because i would hate to be caught somewhere and it decide to throw the code and not have something to erase it. sorry to the OP, i kinda took over your thread man, i know your having issues too and hope your having better luck than me. i need to get an edge insight cs/cts to clear codes but im not sure if the code will show up on the edge. that ford tech guy is supposed to be stopping by tonight with the computer and hook it up to see whats up. but i think it has to go back to stock. so i may be putting dpf back on and just drive it like that for a while. im not sure this sucks big time.

Last edited by travisH3; 11-12-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:05 PM

well, my ford guy just left. he brought his laptop from work and its even got him locked out. But i did get it back to stock. it took 3 tries and finally the last try it didnt freeze and went through. he is gonna be checking the ford tsb's and seeing if he can find anything out. It wont let the ford computer in at all. but if i plug my mini maxx in it will let it clear the codes but it still wont start. I still have the dpf off but he is letting me know if he finds anything tonight or tomorrow and whether i need to take it into ford. so if he finds anything out i will post back because it sounds like ours is doing the same thing. let me know if you find anything out either and we will see if we can get something figured out.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well guys, here is where I am. Hopefully this might help someone. My tuner, a SCT SF3, communicates with my truck. I had a custom tune in my truck, I went to download a preset tune. I didn't go to adjust options & a preset tune wasn't selected. When it asked if I wanted to down load a preset tune I said yes. I thought at that time it would let me select a tune. It didn't, it started downloading, what I don't know, since I didn't select a tune. After that my truck wouldn't start. After getting my truck returned to stock, I successfully downloaded a preset tune. Now my truck won't start. Ford found the problem. My transmission position sensor isn't reading. The truck doesn't know it's in park. Ford said the truck dropped the TCM. They are going to let me know if they can recover the TCM or if it needs replaced. I am wondering if I go back to a custom tune it might fix the TCM since it programs the PCM and TCM. At this point I mostly deal with River City Diesel and the Ford dealer. My cell phone bill was over $600, due to the long waits for a tech and the hours long conversations with SCT over the last 3 weeks. Total cost now over $5000. Good luck James & Travis
Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drilldog View Post
Well guys, here is where I am. Hopefully this might help someone. My tuner, a SCT SF3, communicates with my truck. I had a custom tune in my truck, I went to download a preset tune. I didn't go to adjust options & a preset tune wasn't selected. When it asked if I wanted to down load a preset tune I said yes. I thought at that time it would let me select a tune. It didn't, it started downloading, what I don't know, since I didn't select a tune. After that my truck wouldn't start. After getting my truck returned to stock, I successfully downloaded a preset tune. Now my truck won't start. Ford found the problem. My transmission position sensor isn't reading. The truck doesn't know it's in park. Ford said the truck dropped the TCM. They are going to let me know if they can recover the TCM or if it needs replaced. I am wondering if I go back to a custom tune it might fix the TCM since it programs the PCM and TCM. At this point I mostly deal with River City Diesel and the Ford dealer. My cell phone bill was over $600, due to the long waits for a tech and the hours long conversations with SCT over the last 3 weeks. Total cost now over $5000. Good luck James & Travis
Thats not what we wanted to hear. I have gotten mine to start , it just runs for a few minutes then kicks into a limp mode and makes everything go crazy. It makes sense though why it ain't starting, the tranny doesn't think it's in park. By any chance do you remember what code it was throwing?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My tuner didn't give me a code. I was standing there when the Ford mechanic was running the diagnostics. He showed me
Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well guys, last night SCT called me and wanted me to go out to my truck with the tuner and see if my tuner would recognize something. So i told them how they were not a big help what so ever and i took my truck to innovative. The tech guy was telling me that if my tuner would recognize something(i forget what it is at the moment) than my pcm is in good shape but i told him how innovative reported that my PCM wouldn't respond to anything. The tech guy was going to relay the message to his superviser and get back to me. Got an email about 10pm tonight from SCT saying they are making plans to overnight my modules down to them from innovative to hook up to their 6.4 and see if it works on their truck.

Why wouldn't they have me do that before i took my truck to innovative? I dont really understand because the tech told me to just go to ford if my batteries and obdii voltage was good.

Todd, have you told SCT about the sensor and your tcm? If so, what did they have to say? Thats not what i wanted to hear either.

Travis, what year is your truck? There is a ford tsb for early 08 models for the calibration on the PCM. SCT reports mine is out of date and this is why im having this problem. Maybe you are too??? They also said its a recall, but i called ford and they told me it would be between 100-175$ for the calibration. I was suppose to go to ford as soon as i got the modules back in my truck, but i was like you and didn't want to drive in limp mode so i called sct back an thats when i was told to tune, which caused me to be locked out again ect.

I almost don't believe the calibration is the problem because it just happened so sudden. My truck and tuner were working fine like yours and then all of a sudden im locked out because of the PCM calibration? Wouldn't you think you'd have this problem as soon as you put a tuner on the truck if the PCM calibration is off? I don't know, maybe it was just an excuse SCT told me because they didnt know what else to say about it but the tsb for the calibration is legit.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have not told SCT about the TCM. It was 6:00 pm my time & 8:00 in Florida when i found out. SCT has never helped me after hours. I've always had to wait until the next day. If I tell them about it they will just tell me to pull it & ship it to them.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:54 AM

mine is a 2010. i had the issue 3 months ago, cleared the code and was off. 2 months ago it locked me out and seemed to be fine as long a i kept the h&s off of the truck so they sent me a new OBDII block and HDMI cable. Now the code comes back, the truck wont even start right now but im just waiting on this ford guy to see if he can get it figured out. i may be putting intake and dpf on today depending on what he says
Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I talked with SCT. They said that as soon as Ford fixes or replaces the TCM I am good to go. All I need to do is download a tune. I hope they are right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.