Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Truck won't start

8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  travisH3 
#1 ·
Well the truck has been running perfectly up to today. It has a H&S Minnie Max, straight exhaust, and an intake. I've been running it on the mild setting and not hammering it. Started it up today, let it warm up and right off the bat we noticed the air conditioning was not working right. Pulled out of the drive way and she sounded like it was not in gear, (making noise but not going anywhere) We turned around parked and shut her down. I did a visual of the engine compartment and found nothing obvious wrong. Tried to start it again and nothing. All the lights on the dash come on as well as the fan but when you turn the key its like a drain on the system. Help I'm not a mechanic by any means, any ideas?

#2 ·
Did it start hard the first time? Now you say it won't start but will it even turn over? Does it show a cel?

Sent with my mind using ESP.

#4 ·
I checked the connections on the tuner (it comes on with the key) The truck started fine but when we parked it and tried again it won't even turn over. no check engine light either.I just located the Mini Maxx book so I will check to see if any codes are being thrown.

#6 ·
It's Alive

Update guys,,,,I did some research on this site (great info!) and I cleared the code (Thanks H&S ) and she fired right up. There is something going on in the harness I will have to watch for but I will keep researching in the meantime. I just need to understand my truck better. I do want to thank you for the replies and the willingness to help. Great site! but we all know that,,,,,,

#7 ·
Glad you got it figured out.

Also just for reference the tuner doesn't have to be plugged in, once you load the tune you can take the tuner out, (or leave it in the glove box.) Your truck will run perfectly fine without it.

Sent with my mind using ESP.

#8 ·
Running

Thank you Magnum I did not know you could pull the tuner. Today has been a learning experience. I'm just glad she's up and running,,I do love that truck and the performance is just an added bonus. :) It gets used everyday on our small farm.

#10 ·
If it is fine without the mini plugged in, and throws the u0073 with it pluged in. H&s will send you a new obd2 plug and a new hdmi cable and it should be good. I had the same problem.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#11 ·
I just called Friday to h&s and they sent me out new parts and told me NOT to plug in the mini maxx until new parts come. Mine threw that code once, I cleared it when it didnt start and all is fine.fast forward a month or so and the truck keeps throwing the code, all the warming lights are on, the mini maxx stop communicating with the truck and wont let you clear the code and the truck will not start. I got it to clear after letting it sit for a night with the batteries unplugged, unplugged the tuner right after clearing the code and truck runs fine as long as the mini maxx isnt plugged in. If it happens again, give h&s a call. The guy on the phone said it really messes with the computer and supposedly it can damage the computer. I have been driving without the mini maxx plugged in for couple days now and all is well.

Here we're the symptoms when mine threw the code
-all warning lights on the dash on(traction control, abs, air bag, battery...etc)
-no gauges on the dash working except fuel gauge, all others sat at zero
-stuck in what seemed like 3rd gear
-gear indicator wasn't lit up to see what you were in P R N D 3 2 1
-no power to the vgt turbo(smoked like a freight train)

I will post back when I get the parts h&s sent me.

#13 ·
mine wasnt bad the first time it happened either. it happened when leaving a restaurant. cleared the code and started up just fine. This is a month or so later. post back if ya have any more issues. but it sounds like yours will be following the way mine went out,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.