Odd exhaust question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Odd exhaust question

Ok so here is where i stand. I want a louder exhaust and lower egt's. I DO NOT care about more power so purchasing a tuner just so i can remove my dpf w/ out a CL seems like a waist of 600$+.

So 1st question if i remove my cat and leave the dpf in place will i throw a CL?

Next, if i purchase a 5" down pipe back exhaust (no muffler ") and purchase a cat delete pipe and have my shop cut and weld the dpf in place on the new exhaust and install the cat delet pipe on the turbo side will the exhaust be significantly louder. All im looking for is a louder exhaust like i had on my 6.0.
Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

the 6.4 isn't loud with a 5in strait pipe, so leaving the DPF in place even with no muffler or DOC will not make it louder....
Old 09-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Duramax View Post
the 6.4 isn't loud with a 5in strait pipe, so leaving the DPF in place even with no muffler or DOC will not make it louder....
Thats what i was afraid of...
Old 09-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

4" downpipe and 5" exhaust is pretty loud. It's not 6.0 or 7.3 loud, but it's definitely much louder than stock. If you're not wanting to delete the DPF, I would just leave it stock and put up with it being quiet.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
4" downpipe and 5" exhaust is pretty loud. It's not 6.0 or 7.3 loud, but it's definitely much louder than stock. If you're not wanting to delete the DPF, I would just leave it stock and put up with it being quiet.
The only way to get rid of the dpf is to buy a tuner correct?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebringjetta View Post
The only way to get rid of the dpf is to buy a tuner correct?
That is correct ... Trust me if you did it you would never look back I can promise you that! Not to mention the better fuel mileage and reliably of the truck is worth its weight in gold. Just my 2 cents
Old 09-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCTICCAT87 View Post
That is correct ... Trust me if you did it you would never look back I can promise you that! Not to mention the better fuel mileage and reliably of the truck is worth its weight in gold. Just my 2 cents
If i did a 5" turbo back and h&s xrt would i need to do the egr delete? I know the xrt shuts off the egr so what that be enough? I really dont want to screw too much w/ my truck..sorry for all the questions...
Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
If i did a 5" turbo back and h&s xrt would i need to do the egr delete? I know the xrt shuts off the egr so what that be enough? I really dont want to screw too much w/ my truck..sorry for all the questions...
No worries man that’s what these forums are here for, but no you don’t "Have" to but at some point from everything I’ve looked into its highly recommend. I know for myself it’ll be my next addition to my truck. Again all of this is for the reliability of your truck, the added power and whatnot is just a HUGE bonus!! But honestly a tuner, intake and DP back exhaust is all you really need to start off with.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCTICCAT87 View Post
No worries man thatís what these forums are here for, but no you donít "Have" to but at some point from everything Iíve looked into its highly recommend. I know for myself itíll be my next addition to my truck. Again all of this is for the reliability of your truck, the added power and whatnot is just a HUGE bonus!! But honestly a tuner, intake and DP back exhaust is all you really need to start off with.
Ok well ill just order a dp back exhaust and a programer this week...in order to get the best mpg do i leave it on the oem tune?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Ok well ill just order a dp back exhaust and a programer this week...in order to get the best mpg do i leave it on the oem tune?
I think that someone of a debatable question. I've read that the hotter the tune the better the fuel mileage but on the same token the hotter tune I feel like most people will have a heavier foot which will in turn make worse I feel mileage. In my personal opinion you will just have to do it on your own and and see what works best for you. Many people have said that it's very truck specific on which tune will get the best fuel mileage. just experiment and have fun with your new toy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.