What y'all think power stroke family? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What y'all think power stroke family?

H&S mini maxx
4" exhaust
Egr block off
5" exhaust tip
$1800 labor included?
What else do I need did? I have a 40' trailer I hotshot with & my gas mileage and power is whack! I need my truck did right!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Cold air intake. And cold side intake pipe. And a aftermarket down pipe. Them will help keep egts lower when pulling

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 09-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE_JOE View Post
Cold air intake. And cold side intake pipe. And a aftermarket down pipe. Them will help keep egts lower when pulling

Thanks for the assistance I'll b checking on the price Monday!

Old 09-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You could always do head studs. There expensive and labor would be up there too. But that would be piece of mind.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

You could also add the Elite 71 (or another turbo upgrade) to help keep the EGTs in check when towing. For me, it made a big difference in HP, it helped lower EGTs, and even added a little better fuel economy.

Of course, I would do studs before upgrading the fuel or turbo.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
You could always do head studs. There expensive and labor would be up there too. But that would be piece of mind.

How much shud I expect to pay to do the head studs bc I thought in order to do that they would have to take off the cab!

Old 09-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by B585Ford View Post

You could also add the Elite 71 (or another turbo upgrade) to help keep the EGTs in check when towing. For me, it made a big difference in HP, it helped lower EGTs, and even added a little better fuel economy.

Of course, I would do studs before upgrading the fuel or turbo.
What all should I be getting done while the cab is off, it cost too much to take it on in off for all my up grades?

Old 09-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
x2 on studs since you're towing.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

900 for mini max
350 4 in dp back exhaust
60 tip
30 plates
tax bout 100
so looks like labor is about 360.

you have a lot of options since texas doesnt do emissions testing. if you dont have any warranty left id do a full exhaust, full egr delete and a cai.

if you want to save a few bucks theres a mini max and delete pipe on craigs for 850. install is easy.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 F-350 View Post
What all should I be getting done while the cab is off, it cost too much to take it on in off for all my up grades?

Unfortunately, you are correct, it is almost always cab off. Depending on where in the country you are, studs (if you mill the heads, magna flux, etc.) is going to cost around $3500 when you add all the gaskets, fluids, and labor (if you can't do it yourself). That doesn't include any other mod, but to do studs, you have to remove the intake manny, exhaust manny, up pipes, turbos, etc. so it is a good time to do several mods. What you really need to do is decide on your budget and goals. Six months ago, I would have told you that I think a studs and a 71 were all you need to worry about (an exhaust manny and up pipes along and ported intake manny are nice bonuses too), but right now, the 6.4 aftermarket is exploding with new products. There are so many great builds going on right now for DD/towing guys, the answer is not so clear. Capt Dong is taking the air approach and doing the batmos. DesielFreak23 is currently doing one of the most unique builds I have seen to date (both stock turbo batmos, 30% nozzles, cam, valvetrain upgrade, intake manny, exhaust manny, and up pipes). I know another guy who just completed the HP batmo, a 71 batmo, exhaust manny and up pipes, and a WG which seems to be a good build. He just completed it so he hasn't got the bugs worked out (high EBPs), but it he says it spools very quick (which I would expect with batmos). Make no mistake, I am very happy with my build (intake manny, Elite 71, 6.0 exh manny and up pipes) and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone (with studs), but maybe we will find out a cam on a relatively mild build is worth it. Or maybe we will find bigger nozzles with basically stock fuel running a shorter PW is the way to go for HP/efficiency. In summary, I still am an advocate of air first since it keeps the EGTs down. I personally love my 71 and based on indirect evidence (comparing different builds on different trucks so it is not an apples to apples comparison), I think the Elite 71 is the way to go over the batmo. That being said, I acknowledge that the batmos may be equal or possibly better. I know of only one direct comparison on the same truck (performed at Rudy's) of the Elite 71 vs. the batmo 71. On that truck with that programming, the Elite 71 did do around 15 HP higher than the 71 batmo. Of course, IMO, peak HP doesn't tell everything if you tow/DD. To me, the flatter HP curve, lower EGTs, quick spool up, and good BP/EBP ratio (1:1) in all circumstances except at WOT in the higer RPMs where I can see 50 PSI boost and 70 EBP si why I like it. There is a good chance the batmos might spool a little faster than mine so that has to be considered. Obviously, I am not knocking batmos...for $400, they are very reasonably priced mod which do seem to help spool up and EGTs. In summary, especially if you are going to do studs, take your time and research what's out there and decide based on your budget/goals. With all the different products/builds out there right now, you shouldn't have any trouble making a powerful, reliable DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.