Options for reducing coolant overheating? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 03:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Options for reducing coolant overheating?

What should I consider modifing on the truck to address coolant overheating? I have added a mini maxx and deleted the DPF & CAT. Will adding an S&B intake significantly lower temps particularly coolant temp?

Last week I towed my 12k lb fifth wheel through some small hills driving from Del Rio to Rocksprings, Texas. This was my first time towing after DPF/CAT delete. When going uphill at around 70 mph in 5th gear EGTs reached 1200 and coolant temp increased to 220 and tuner alarmed and defueled. When going uphill at around 60 the trans stayed in 4th gear, EGTs stayed around 1000 and coolant temp stayed in the 210 - 215 range. The trans temp stayed around 190 - 200. What improvements can be made to the truck to reduce coolant temperature when towing while maintaining speed at 70 mph?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 03:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What was the delta between your coolant and oil? Did the temps come down quickly once you were on the way down the hills?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:34 AM

what tune were you running?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

220 isn't very hot. The fan doesn't come on until 222. I was told by ford that these things will run up to 230 water and 245 on the oil before they trip a check engine light. New diesels run hot. Real hot.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:51 AM

Like stated above 220 is not hot. Mods that will help reduce egt's are an egr delete with intake elbow, CAC pipe and a downpipe.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The oil temp was about 10 degrees less that the coolant temp. Yes, the temp. went down quickly when going downhill and stopped alarming on the tuner. I was running the Mild tune at the No Power level. Sounds like the defuel set point on the tuner should maybe be raised to around 225.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkypuros View Post
The oil temp was about 10 degrees less that the coolant temp. Yes, the temp. went down quickly when going downhill and stopped alarming on the tuner. I was running the Mild tune at the No Power level. Sounds like the defuel set point on the tuner should maybe be raised to around 225.
I think the defuels go up in increments of 10 so 230 would probably be fine. It could have just been a combination of things that caused it the go up to 220 - outside temp, speed, incline etc. If it came back down quickly then I wouldn't be to concerned becaquse it means the cooling system is doing it's job. If it was to stay high for awhile then I would be concerned. Also did you mean the oil was 10 deg. higher? Usually the oil is anywhere from 4-6 degrees higher than my coolant normal driving and 6-10 difference towing.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:23 PM

yeah i would check the cooling system including the tstats. usually oil temp rises with coolant. how many miles on the truck?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkypuros View Post
What should I consider modifing on the truck to address coolant overheating? I have added a mini maxx and deleted the DPF & CAT. Will adding an S&B intake significantly lower temps particularly coolant temp?

Last week I towed my 12k lb fifth wheel through some small hills driving from Del Rio to Rocksprings, Texas. This was my first time towing after DPF/CAT delete. When going uphill at around 70 mph in 5th gear EGTs reached 1200 and coolant temp increased to 220 and tuner alarmed and defueled. When going uphill at around 60 the trans stayed in 4th gear, EGTs stayed around 1000 and coolant temp stayed in the 210 - 215 range. The trans temp stayed around 190 - 200. What improvements can be made to the truck to reduce coolant temperature when towing while maintaining speed at 70 mph?
Questions:

What tune are you running? with 12K suggest No Power

Out side Air temp???? 100*?

Small hills? highway grade 3-5%? how long miles or mile or two?

Air Filter clean???

Trans filter clean oil changed?

EGR installed or deleted?

Good radiator cap ( No puking)?

8K behind mine running the hills in the badlands (10 mile climbs) EGT hit 1200 in OD at 65, dropped a gear and all was controlled at 1150 at 60mph. Coolant never got much above mid range. Imonitor EGTs not coolant driving. I use the OEM coolant gauge.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'b be ditching the factory intake the first chance you get...very restrictive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coolant, overheating, towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.