Gearhead custom tunes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gearhead custom tunes

So I have just heard about gearhead custom tunes.i was wondering if anyone knows which tunes are better, gearheads, h&s, or INnovative? Also what kind of real world mileage are you getting? In getting about 14 right now so I would really like to improve that
WetxMud likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 06:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm getting 16.7 average with H&S on 250 running mild. Running KEM 345 I am averaging 17.1
Old 09-06-2012, 11:25 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
you lie!!!!! your fuelly says 13 mpg. hahahaha just messing

its hard to get everyones true mpg because some like to fudge the numbers. i gained 2-3 mpg from stock to dpf deleted running h&s hot damn tuning on HOT setting. im curious to see what matt at gearhead can do with the 6.4. i loved his tuning on my 6.0
Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 PM

17.6 last tank kem 275 and that was hand calculated.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 09-06-2012, 12:13 PM

My KEM 345 tune is ridiculous..I can't stand to drive it due to how nasty it is and I hate the 2-3 shift. I washed my truck monday morning and it was spotless, by the next evening the bumper was already black...I can't stand to see a haze of smoke just crusing. I am pissed I spent 250 for that tune. Total waste of money...I can't wait for eric or matt to release something for the mini maxx. Until then ill stay with my HD300 tunes
Old 09-06-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack birge View Post
My KEM 345 tune is ridiculous..I can't stand to drive it due to how nasty it is and I hate the 2-3 shift. I washed my truck monday morning and it was spotless, by the next evening the bumper was already black...I can't stand to see a haze of smoke just crusing. I am pissed I spent 250 for that tune. Total waste of money...I can't wait for eric or matt to release something for the mini maxx. Until then ill stay with my HD300 tunes
you might want check your truck for codes or fuel system. you could have a stuck injector. i havent read many bad reviews on kem tuning. as a matter of fact heard their shifting was smoother than h&s. also i would call kem and see if theres a fix.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:36 PM

gearhead all day for the 6.4s
GSchretter likes this.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:25 PM

Fuel system is good! No codes, runs like a raped ape! Just dirty on his tune and my 2-3 shift is harsh. My H&S tunes run much smoother and cleaner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt dong View Post
you might want check your truck for codes or fuel system. you could have a stuck injector. i havent read many bad reviews on kem tuning. as a matter of fact heard their shifting was smoother than h&s. also i would call kem and see if theres a fix.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

i've got gearheads tow, street and hot street tunes.. dont have the race.. no need for it, nor do i have the goodies to run it reliably. shifting is great.. its practically smoke free.. i've only run the hot street tune so far.. mileage is so/so.. was only getting 13ish... but im running 37's.. so thats not terrible.. only thing i didn't like about it was it holds the gears too long.. if im really light on the throttle, it hold the gear until the rpms get way up or it gets to a certain speed before it shifts... i've talked to matt about it already and hes going to fix

i also run KEM 345 most of the time.. it is a little dirty and there is a haze while cruising, but the shifting is good. i have a slight hesitation @ 1750 rpms, KEM told me to send logs, i havne't gotten around to it yet.. but this tune gets me the best mileage.. usually get around 14.5.. just went to the beach over the weekend.. 300 miles round trip.. mostly highway.. and then did about 100 miles of city driving.. still got 15.8 mpg.. hand calculated on the 37's.. best mileage i've seen is 17 mpg,s w/ this tune on 37's.. all highway driving for 400 miles cruising @ 75

and then i have innovatives older tunes.. i dont have the 3.x.x tunes yet but i want to try them.. extreme race is too hard to control once its in OD, and the shifts are too harsh for my liking.. smokes real heavy too.. extreme street is nice, good street manners, but shifting is too harsh.. the street tune on the soft shifting runs and drives great.. little smoke, good shifts.. but my mileage is poopy.. only getting 12.5

all of them have things i love/like, all of them have things i dont like.. KEM 345 or gearhead gets my vote.. but until i try innovatives new stuff.. i cant give any feedback on those.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:59 PM

my 2-3 shift is hard on my kem 345 also, gonna get mike to send me a tweaked version, it does smoke a good bit but its such a smooth tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.