Detroit lockers? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Detroit lockers?

Anyone install these? I find the limited slip a little iffy on my 09' f-350 psd. Especially in the snow when the vehicle is already stuck, that LSD is good for nuffin'. I especially like the trutrac system.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

Well the truetrac itself is still a limited slip differential, just not one with a clutch pack like you would normally see. It is a helical gear type limited slip, so there are no parts that "wear out". You probably wouldn't want a true locker on icy roads anyway, but if your "stuck" and looking for more traction, maybe a true locker would be best like a selectable locker. Detroit, owned by Eaton makes those as well.

I've got a truetrac in my Jeep and have never had a problem with it.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply!

I'm almost certain that wear is not the issue on my truck as I only have 78000kms. I just think clutch based LSDs are not as effective, especially in the snow as I do snow removal.

Are the selectable diff lockers reliable for a modded truck? And are they easy to install ( hard to find trustworthy mechanics here). Do you have an idea of price?

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
Old 09-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

Well you are right, the clutch based LSD's are not as effective. One thing you can try before totally giving up on your stock LSD is changing the fluid and not running the friction modifier, or using less of it. That may give you a little more oomph.

The selectable units will be very reliable (within moderation) it would be just like a stock transmission. You can't expect it to hold up to 1000hp and 2000ft-lbs of tq.

The selectable locker would be just as hard to install as the truetrac LSD, it will replace the carrier within the diff. It will require you to make sure backlash is set and possibly have to adjust pinion depth. If you have the knowledge and tools to do that then you should be fine. If not expect it to cost about 1000 per axle.

As for cost of the parts themselves it will be more expensive for a true selectable locker. Anywhere from $800-$1200.

However, I just did a little search and could not find a selectable locker for the 10.5" rear end we have.... Maybe someone else can chime in on this one. I may have spoke too soon.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

Looks like AuburnGear makes a selectable locker for the 10.5" rear in the Ford. I can't find it listed on 4wheelparts.com though to find a price. Here is a link to the spec sheet.

Auburn Ected Locking Differential | West Coast Differentials
Old 09-02-2012, 03:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Am I understanding correctly that you can lock even the front axle??

That would make for one heck of an awesome snow removal vehicle, especially for those steep driveways!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 09-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Premium Member

You are correct!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.