Chips to help MPG - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chips to help MPG

Hi Guys, I am a new 6.4 owner and I want to know whats the best chip to install that will give me better MPG. I am not looking to mess up anything so I want to make sure I get the right one. I have heard somethings about the SCT live wires that they will help me get around 18 MPG. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You'll really need to get rid of your DPF and DOC, then get a custom tune written for that being removed.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am new to all of this what is the DPF and DOC?
Old 08-27-2012, 04:48 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Dpf is the particulate filter that catches all the soot and the doc is the catylitic converter. Look at your exhaust and it's the almost foot round can on your exhaust that is a couple feet long.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay.... Thanks for the help since I am new to this the last thing I want to do I mess something up. What do you suggest on doing to replace them? Like a straight pipe of some sort? I thought that if you got rid of some of the filters that it would run like crape? Is this true?
Old 08-27-2012, 05:58 PM

It will if u dont have a tuner for it. H&S Minn Maxx will take care of all the iusses.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:59 PM

as an unloaded daily driver you might be able to up the milage,thats if you are a flatlander...pulling hills all the time diff. story.

pulling a trailer...using extra hp and torque not recommended....egt's get hot real fast.

but just to get rid of regens alone,its worth it. i hate regens...always happen just as i'm pulling into my driveway or gas station and they shut off and have to start all over again.i'm seriously thinking of getting rid of all that epa crap.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So... here goes.

Get a tuner/intake/exhaust.

Tuner - there are a few options. H&S, Spartan, SCT with Gearhead or KEM custom tunes. They will all allow you to run without the DPF/DoC.

Exhaust - if you are on a budget, just get the delete pipe (it will bolt on where your DPF/DoC was removed. If not on a budget, get a 5" turbo back. Some people start at 4" and I hear most change to 5" later.

Intake - S&B or AFE are the 2 most popular. If you run higher tunes you will need one.

Also suggest doing a EGR delete (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). It will help your reliability.

Running on hotter tunes is kinda a catch 22. You will get the best mileage on the hottest tunes IF you keep your foot off the skinny pedal. BUT if you are irresponsible with all the new power, something is bound to break. There are continuing things you can do to make it bulletproof, but it is a never ending race. First bulletproof and then run higher HP because you can and want to test the limit, find a weak link, bulletproof and repeat..... It's an addiction.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by muntu View Post
as an unloaded daily driver you might be able to up the milage,thats if you are a flatlander...pulling hills all the time diff. story.

pulling a trailer...using extra hp and torque not recommended....egt's get hot real fast.

but just to get rid of regens alone,its worth it. i hate regens...always happen just as i'm pulling into my driveway or gas station and they shut off and have to start all over again.i'm seriously thinking of getting rid of all that epa crap.
Don't know how long you have had your truck, but I coudn't get rid of the stuff fast enough. Everything epa related is gone.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the help guys, I dont really pull alot but I do pull my boat which is only 221 foot and prob weighs 3000 LBS. I will look into all of this and see what the cost are and wehn what are in my budget. I do live in Florida so I dont have very many hills its mostly flat land.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.