New Detroit True Trac Popping & Grinding ???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Detroit True Trac Popping & Grinding ????

Has anyone on here used a detroit true trac yet in the rear of a 10.5 sterling the F250's F350 (srw) trucks came with? I just installed mine... It works great in turns with no throttle applied, any throttle applied and its binding up and making grinding & popping sounds.... Not the racheting or clicking sounds from a traditional locker, but actually grinding. Was told when i bought this that it was the best, silent, and un noticeable..... Eaton says their failure rate of these is less than 1%, its even worse when I tow..... Any ideas here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 08:58 PM

I do not have one in my new Ford yet but in my last Chevy 8.6 I had a TrueTrac and for the first bit it was QUIET, I loved it! Never had such a nice setup back there. Unfortunately I destroyed everything else around it shortly after and that POS is now for sale with the truetrac removed and sold to a friend. Drove soooooo amazing in the winter on almost balding mudder tires, no rear brakes, 4wd and front brakes only and I was first person out in the AM doing snow removal and driving 1hr across town, every day all winter without a single issue. I would love to put one in this Ford depending on ho the factory unit works for this winter, I hope you get yours working right and report back .

My suggestions;
- Get tech to recheck mesh on ring & pinion
- Take to a gear shop for a second opinion
- Do it fast before you ruin everything else around it like I did

EDIT: My rear end started grinding and popping too, was broken pinion gear with gear tooth grinding around in bearings, then Ujoint followed probably due to binding which ground down all the ujoint bolts due to the 5 inches of play in the rear end on accel/decel which caused second ujoint to fail and I still believe they also stretched the leaf spring u-bolts so much due to all that play and binding to the point that I ripped the spring perches clear off of the rear axle assy, one side was at the welds and other side was the actual casing and you could touch your axle :S:S Scary *** **** when we were pulling it apart to realize the whole rear end was being held on my 4 little ujoint bolts and 4 rusted ubolts on the leafs that were not tight, at all and 2 shocks (hah!)

Last edited by AllGo'N'Show; 08-16-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:51 AM

Ring and pinion is brand new also. , so are the bearings, backlash was .006" Perfect according to the book. Its in the true trac, only grinds or pops in turns
Old 08-17-2012, 05:54 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Isn't a TrueTrac, just a different style of limited slip? Doesn't it also use the limited slip additive?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:58 AM

Eaton label's it as a limited slip style unit... It doesn't require any friction modifier though because they are no clutches in it. It has helical cut gears that actually bite into the case to lock both axles together...... Similar to a sure grip used in chryslers..... I've been on the phone with eaton and they are pretty much telling me to take it up with Randy's ring and pinion....
Old 08-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Man, that sucks... I guess that without Randy's checking it out, Eaton can't (and probably shouldn't) comment. Sorry to hear about it, but keep us posted.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:05 AM

I know, lol I bought the best thinking it was the best..... I'm hoping randy's will send me a new one so I can swap it out and not be without a truck.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:09 AM

Just because the specs are by the book doesn't mean the truck likes them. Happened on another car of mine, specs were within "spec" but it made noise, reset by checking mesh on ring and pinion, that was an Auburn unit but same crap different pile.

Trust me, my TrueTrac was DEAD quiet, even beating the **** out of it, doing 4x4 donuts in the snow, anything I threw at it it was quiet, dead quiet.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Strokin View Post
Eaton label's it as a limited slip style unit... It doesn't require any friction modifier though because they are no clutches in it. It has helical cut gears that actually bite into the case to lock both axles together...... ..

Partly true Helical cut gearing vs clutch packs, the gearing provides the resistance and quiet operation there is no "bite into the case" operation.

If you have noise with the gearset there is something wrong with either the install or the equipment. The Dana 110 uses the true trac unit and I do hear the tires biting on the pavement in hard turns or wet streets. The noise you hear it it matlic or tire noise?
Old 08-17-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Strokin View Post
Ring and pinion is brand new also. , so are the bearings, backlash was .006" Perfect according to the book. Its in the true trac, only grinds or pops in turns
Two questions:

What is the pinion torque set at?

Why are you driving it with all that noise in the rear? if it comes apart... you will be in for a wild ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.