MiniMaxx Settings - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 01:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
MiniMaxx Settings

Hoping H+S will chime in here. I hooked up my Mini and now I'm unsure about towing. I will be towing two different boats (not at the same time, for the wiseguys ), not sure if the weight difference will matter. One is about 1k lbs and the other is about 5k lbs. What is the best setting to run when towing them? Easy, Medium, or HD? Also, should I use the tow/haul mode? I live in south Fla so not too many steep mountains or hills here. And what transmission setting will be safest?

Second, I understand that the LBF helps out with instant accelleration. If I set it to 5 where it smokes a lot and is very snappy, will this harm my truck or not? I have it on 3 right now but I'm going to play with the settings to see what works best. I'm guessing that 5 will have the worst fuel economy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 06:10 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I use the hd300 on no power (50hp) or mild (125) for towing. Most people say to tow on a setting close to stock power. Those weights are pretty light so it probably won't matter what setting you tow in. In all actuality with gauges you could really pull in any setting you wish and if you feel the temps are climbing faster than you are comfortable with then you have the ability to adjust down on the fly.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I to wonder about towing in tow/haul with the H&S I think I remember reading some where that I shouldnt use tow haul when using the H&S.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 AM

Personally, I would use the easy tunes for towing. The transmission shifting is better.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qwkgoat View Post
I to wonder about towing in tow/haul with the H&S I think I remember reading some where that I shouldnt use tow haul when using the H&S.
H&s doesn't recommend using the tow/haul button on any setting over stock power.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony97gt View Post
Hoping H+S will chime in here. I hooked up my Mini and now I'm unsure about towing. I will be towing two different boats (not at the same time, for the wiseguys ), not sure if the weight difference will matter. One is about 1k lbs and the other is about 5k lbs. What is the best setting to run when towing them? Easy, Medium, or HD? Also, should I use the tow/haul mode? I live in south Fla so not too many steep mountains or hills here. And what transmission setting will be safest?

Second, I understand that the LBF helps out with instant accelleration. If I set it to 5 where it smokes a lot and is very snappy, will this harm my truck or not? I have it on 3 right now but I'm going to play with the settings to see what works best. I'm guessing that 5 will have the worst fuel economy.

Forgot to mention that yes, you should get better mileage with low boost set lower. Also less smoke when you step on it. I run mine at 1. But like drunk on diesel said the tranny shifting is better on easy tuning. I havent tried these myself but I have heard others say this too. I have gotten used to the s1m and when I get brave enough I'll mess around with the mcc tuning to adjust it even more.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
H&s doesn't recommend using the tow/haul button on any setting over stock power.
Really? I didnt know that. I usually tow on hot damn on the no power setting. So i shouldnt use the tow/haul button?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:54 AM

they don't recommend it for liability reasons. I would use the tow/haul button
Old 08-13-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
Really? I didnt know that. I usually tow on hot damn on the no power setting. So i shouldnt use the tow/haul button?
I think Drunk is right. I tow in the hot damm and use it sometimes too. I think I read the tow/haul strategy that ford uses isn't designed for all the extra power. I don't think however on no power setting even though it is 50 horse would affect anything. I think it would probably come into play if you were using wild or hot settings.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:16 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I tow 12k with my truck using hot damn tunes running mild. And using tow/haul button with the s1m shift schedule. At 5k pounds you could easily run hot damn tunes and just run it on no power or mild. I have a smaller trailer that I tow my tractor on that's prolly about 1.5k on hot usually. I don't think u have much to worry about especially if you watch temps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.