Spartan tuner or SCT tuner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 10:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spartan tuner or SCT tuner

I have an '08 F-350, plan on doing an EGR block, DPF delete, 4" Diamond Eye straight pipe exhaust and a tuner. Been doing a lot of research on these two tuners. The gentleman I'm having put all this stuff highly recommends SCT 96250R tuner with an Edge CTS gauges. I've been reading up on the SCT and they have discontinued the SCT 96250R, makes me kinda a nervous that down the road the won't have any technical support on this tuner. Have read nothing but good things about the Spartan. Will the Spartan support recalibration of the speedometer if I go with a bigger tires and will it give me errors codes, I know that you can do this with the SCT 9650R. How well can you mount the Spartan with out seeing any wires when mounted? I know that the Edge CTS gauges have a real nice way to mount the gauges and still be able to hide the wires? The gentleman that's putting in all this stuff ran the SCT 96250R in his personal '08 F-350 and loved it. Also will the Spartan make the tranny shift firmer? It'll be an additional $200 if I go with the Spartan, will it be worth the extra $200 or not? What I would like to see is better fuel economy, more horsepower without blowing head gaskets or have tranny problems down the road. I mainly drive moderate and don't haul real heavy, but I will be getting a camp trailer in the near future. Please help me with the decision of which of these two tuners I should get. What are yours thoughts and advice. Thanks for this website, a wealth of knowledge on here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 03:18 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkncly View Post
I have an '08 F-350, plan on doing an EGR block, DPF delete, 4" Diamond Eye straight pipe exhaust and a tuner. Been doing a lot of research on these two tuners. The gentleman I'm having put all this stuff highly recommends SCT 96250R tuner with an Edge CTS gauges. I've been reading up on the SCT and they have discontinued the SCT 96250R, makes me kinda a nervous that down the road the won't have any technical support on this tuner. Have read nothing but good things about the Spartan. Will the Spartan support recalibration of the speedometer if I go with a bigger tires and will it give me errors codes, I know that you can do this with the SCT 9650R. How well can you mount the Spartan with out seeing any wires when mounted? I know that the Edge CTS gauges have a real nice way to mount the gauges and still be able to hide the wires? The gentleman that's putting in all this stuff ran the SCT 96250R in his personal '08 F-350 and loved it. Also will the Spartan make the tranny shift firmer? It'll be an additional $200 if I go with the Spartan, will it be worth the extra $200 or not? What I would like to see is better fuel economy, more horsepower without blowing head gaskets or have tranny problems down the road. I mainly drive moderate and don't haul real heavy, but I will be getting a camp trailer in the near future. Please help me with the decision of which of these two tuners I should get. What are yours thoughts and advice. Thanks for this website, a wealth of knowledge on here!
I vote spartan but I'm kinda partial because that is what I have. Right now Spartan does not support speedo recalibration, but supposedly it is coming in the next update (and that is coming out soon). I run the 300LL from spartan. Shifts are from but not rough and if I can keep my foot out of the gas (very very hard to do because all the power is so much more fun!) I get about 15city/18hwy. I am on stock head bolts (will eventually change to ARPs) but I am not worried about it because I am not ragging on my truck all the time. The mount for the spartan is awesome. I see no wires and people comment all the time how it looks factory. I'll take a picture tonight for you if you want.

If you go with the SCT don't used the canned tunes, pony up and get KEM tunes.

Sent from a phone smarter than me.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No to Spartan!! I vote KEM.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:23 AM
Premium Member

I currently have the 9625OR and would love to get rid of it for a spartan or mini max. Haven't made my mind up yet. The SCT is definitely nothing special its at the bottom of the totem pole compared to spartan and h&s. I used to get errors all the time on the tuner and now the dang thing doesn't work. My truck is still tuned with the KEM 250 tune but now I have no gauges. So whatever you do don't waste money on the 9625or. Heck you could get a mini max for cheaper than buying the SCT and edge.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 08-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have never tried either of them but my next choice if I wouldn't have gone with the mini maxx would have been the spartan.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:01 AM

Between SCT and Spartan, I would definitely go with Spartan.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:44 AM

I vote SCT. It is waaaay cheaper to buy a used SCT Livewire and go al a carte on the tunes from KEM than being forced to overpay for a bundle of tunes you will never use.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRecondo View Post
I vote SCT. It is waaaay cheaper to buy a used SCT Livewire and go al a carte on the tunes from KEM than being forced to overpay for a bundle of tunes you will never use.

Are you speaking from experience? Do you have KEM tunes?

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 08-01-2012, 07:20 AM

I have sct and use the edge for monitoring and love the set up. The sct canned tunes suck but the nice thing is theres a whole bunch of custom tunes out there and I do have Kem tunes and HIGHLY recommend them. Im sure either way you will be happy but you have more options with the sct and can get custom tunes to suit your driving
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 AM

I hear that Gearheads tunes are the s h I t for an sct.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.