In Need of Advice for 2008 6.4L F-250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In Need of Advice for 2008 6.4L F-250

Hello to all -

I recently (last Monday to be exact) bought my first diesel truck. I have always grown up around diesel trucks (7.3L) and so when I graduated from college with my engineering degree I knew exactly what I wanted to buy. So then the search started, I found a 2008 6.4L F-250 crew cab with 30,400 miles on and was able to get it for a good price. I have and did a lot of research on the 6.4L engines and the related problems that owners are having with them. So here is my question. I live in the great environmentally controlled state of California and was wondering what people think of tuning these engines with the DPF installed? I am not completely against removing the CAT/DPF and then just reinstalling them when the time comes to smog my truck; I am very mechanically inclined so this doesn't worry me. However what does have me a little concerned is the penalties of being caught with out he CAT/DPF installed. I have lived in California for all of my life and have never seen a smog checkpoint or do I know of someone who has. So what in your opinion would you do if you lived in California and wanted to tune your 6.4L? Tune it, do the deletes, swap it back to stock when needed and say catch me if you can. Or tune it and stay emission compliant?

I apprecaite all the help, I hope I am not beating a dead horse here. I just want this truck to last me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 03:46 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Knowing the difference between stock and tuned, I would say delete it, but either keep your foot out of it at high tunes or run a lower tune (I would hate to be belching soot and accidentally have some sort of law enforcement see and penalize you)...

Also the emissions crap is terrible on your motor!

Sent from a phone smarter than me.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepraider06 View Post
Hello to all -

I recently (last Monday to be exact) bought my first diesel truck. I have always grown up around diesel trucks (7.3L) and so when I graduated from college with my engineering degree I knew exactly what I wanted to buy. So then the search started, I found a 2008 6.4L F-250 crew cab with 30,400 miles on and was able to get it for a good price. I have and did a lot of research on the 6.4L engines and the related problems that owners are having with them. So here is my question. I live in the great environmentally controlled state of California and was wondering what people think of tuning these engines with the DPF installed? I am not completely against removing the CAT/DPF and then just reinstalling them when the time comes to smog my truck; I am very mechanically inclined so this doesn't worry me. However what does have me a little concerned is the penalties of being caught with out he CAT/DPF installed. I have lived in California for all of my life and have never seen a smog checkpoint or do I know of someone who has. So what in your opinion would you do if you lived in California and wanted to tune your 6.4L? Tune it, do the deletes, swap it back to stock when needed and say catch me if you can. Or tune it and stay emission compliant?

I apprecaite all the help, I hope I am not beating a dead horse here. I just want this truck to last me.
You will probably see more power tuning it with the emissions equipment installed but the truck will just re-gen more causing it to burn more fuel. Also Coutry Aggie is right that the emissions stuff is hard on the motor. For the emissions stuff to operate like it should, you need to work the truck. Most people tends to have issues with this stuff when they do alot of stop & go traffic or don't do alot of highway driving. If it is at all possible I would also say remove that stuff and tune it as well.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I appreciate all the advise. But I have some more questions. Last week my truck went into the dealership for what sounded like a injector going out; a local diesel shop looked at it before going into the dealership and thought thatís what it was also. But the dealership called a few minutes ago and said there tech. looked at it and said it was the same noise that Ford sent out a TSB for. Now I do have a lot of trust in this particular dealership (my Dadís business has bought a lot of trucks from them over the last 15-18 years and they have always treated him right). But I really donít know what to think of this noise. I have a hard time thinking that this is usual. So here is the question, the truck has a little over 32,000 miles and has about 1.5 years left on the Ford factory warranty (5 years/100,000 miles) should I tune and do the dfp delete now or wait till the warranty runs out? Also if I was to tune it now will the dealership be able to see that the truck has been tuned? I would keep all the factory **** (intake and exhaust since I live in California) and just swap out the parts prior to truck going to the dealership, if anything was to break. Thanks for the help and opinions.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you have that much of a long standing relationship with the dealer ask them if they are mod friendly
Old 08-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

There are some threads on the 'tick' -

Who has "the tick"?

Service bulletin Re: The Tick

6.4 ticking/ knocking video

Where is CA do you live? I ask because some counties don't have the "SMOG" test requirements. If you live in a metropolitan area, they probably do, hence, you'd be putting on the stuff at testing time.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I live in Livermore, Ca which is near San Francisco but the truck is registered to an address in Corning, Ca which is a ural town. The dealership that I bought the truck at is located in Corning too, so I will stop by some time and ask the tech if they are mod friendly. I think that they are going to say that they are not since they are in California. I dont know how true this is but, I heard that if your truck is still under warranty and you change anything ie. intake or even put on a dpf back exhaust Ford can void your warranty. But I guess that this all depends on the dealership. Thanks for the advice.

One more thing. Is there a way for the dealership to tell if the truck was tuned or the dpf was deleted if I was to remove the tuner and aftermarket exhaust and returned it back to stock before it went in to get worked on? If I had to do this every time I would be ok with that.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepraider06 View Post
I live in Livermore, Ca which is near San Francisco but the truck is registered to an address in Corning, Ca which is a ural town. The dealership that I bought the truck at is located in Corning too, so I will stop by some time and ask the tech if they are mod friendly. I think that they are going to say that they are not since they are in California. I dont know how true this is but, I heard that if your truck is still under warranty and you change anything ie. intake or even put on a dpf back exhaust Ford can void your warranty. But I guess that this all depends on the dealership. Thanks for the advice.

One more thing. Is there a way for the dealership to tell if the truck was tuned or the dpf was deleted if I was to remove the tuner and aftermarket exhaust and returned it back to stock before it went in to get worked on? If I had to do this every time I would be ok with that.
I am pretty sure that if they wanted to they would be able to dig deep enough to find out. Alot of people do go this route with no problems. I would think the only time they might dig real deep for info would be in the case of a blown engine or something serious like that.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:47 PM

If the problem was not caused by the tuner or mod the dealership will not dig deep to find the tuner print... If they are mod friendly it does not matter.... We have tuned trucks come in all the time and there is NO issue unless the owner is not upfront with us...
Old 08-17-2012, 06:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I live in calif. Also I have done the tuned with the dpf slight diffrence on performance but not by much. I am going with the dpf delete as well mini max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.