new to me 08 350....tune or dont tune???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new to me 08 350....tune or dont tune????

hi guys,

just purchased an 08 350 crew cab lariat long bed. i live in west ky. found the truck on ebay....flew in and drove home. truck didnt look to have any aftermarket parts.

here is the question.

i avg'ed 19ish mpg at around 65 to 70 mph on an 800 mile trip home. now i drive pretty conservatively, but is it possible to achieve this mileage without a previous tune? it does still have the dpf in place and has the factory catback. i was pleasantly surprised with the mileage and dont wanna screw up a good thing. but the stock tips dont look too good as this truck didnt have the chrome pkg. another thing i was unsure of is if 1 regen in 900 miles is normal? it probably isnt tuned as the one time i saw the "cleaning" come up i switched to avg and it did quickly drop by around .3 with no apparent reason.

so i am looking at purchasing a dpf back exhaust for around 350 bux, but if i could see even better mileage with a tune and dpf delete i would be for it. this truck is not a dd and will be used mainly to pull a toy hauler. but better mpg's would is always welcomed.

Suggestions????? thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djburkeen View Post
hi guys,

just purchased an 08 350 crew cab lariat long bed. i live in west ky. found the truck on ebay....flew in and drove home. truck didnt look to have any aftermarket parts.

here is the question.

i avg'ed 19ish mpg at around 65 to 70 mph on an 800 mile trip home. now i drive pretty conservatively, but is it possible to achieve this mileage without a previous tune? it does still have the dpf in place and has the factory catback. i was pleasantly surprised with the mileage and dont wanna screw up a good thing. but the stock tips dont look too good as this truck didnt have the chrome pkg. another thing i was unsure of is if 1 regen in 900 miles is normal? it probably isnt tuned as the one time i saw the "cleaning" come up i switched to avg and it did quickly drop by around .3 with no apparent reason.

so i am looking at purchasing a dpf back exhaust for around 350 bux, but if i could see even better mileage with a tune and dpf delete i would be for it. this truck is not a dd and will be used mainly to pull a toy hauler. but better mpg's would is always welcomed.

Suggestions????? thanks in advance.
Did you hand calculate the mileage or just take it from the reading in the dash. The reading in the dash tends to be fairly inaccurate for the most part. Typically people see better mileage with a delete but we are talking 10-20% better on average.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

Get rid of the DOC/DPF crap. Even if you get the same mileage, and you won't, it will be better, no more fuel in the crankcase. Very important if you want the truck for a long time.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:45 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
And especially since you won't be driving it much and only to tow. It will create alot of soot and clean the exhaust filter more often and net you way worse mpg. Driving for a while on the highway will get good gas mileage because everything is hot enough. Regen will be quicker on the highway with temps up than if you were doing city driving while in regen.

The 6.4 is a dream machine when tuned. I went from about 9 mpg towing to 13. The dpf was hard on the truck because I don't do much highway and long driving. Its mainly around town heavy towing. So I got rid of the dpf at 20k miles. At 28k almost and the truck just loves the tune.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks guys....tune it is.

now i think i gonna go with hs minimaxx and exhaust and intake.

will that pretty much cover it?

obligatory pic btw.....

Old 07-26-2012, 06:10 AM

Looks great, congrats!

Yes, H&S Mini, exhaust, and intake is the way to go.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

Good choice............ Make sure you get back and tell us how it comes out. Hint...............there will be a smile on your face.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok guys ordered mini maxx, 5" downpipe back with muffler, and sb intake through ptp. Any changes i should try and do before order ships?

Cant wait to get this stuff put on. This is my first "big" truck and im loving it so far. Had a 5.7 tundra prior had to sale that since we ordered a 38' toy hauler.

Dustin
Old 07-27-2012, 04:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
NO muffler. I think everyone will tell you that you will put the muffler on, and then a few weeks later take it off. These trucks are still to quiet for a diesel with a 5" no muffler. It might save you a few $$$ and you wont have a muffler taking up space in the garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.